fighting hens

• 4 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
fighting hens
« on: April 15, 2014, 13:08 »
Just wondered if anyone could suggest why my girls have started fighting? I have six silkie hens and the oldest incumbents have started fighting from time to time.  There has been no change to their living arrangements since I added the three POL hens back in September last year - they tend to avoid the fights and are quite timid being the youngsters in the group.  They are let out to free range in the garden most days and otherwise live in a reasonably spacious run (8m2) with perches, logs, dirt for baths etc).  I don't quite know what has upset the pecking order but there is a definite fight going on to be top hen (lots of pecking at heads and squaring up).

I had been planning to worm them all over the next week but am concerned that by keeping them in their coop with nothing to eat other than treated pellets might worsen the situation?

hen addict

Re: fighting hens
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 13:32 »
It's just one of those things. When  the top hen is really strong in personality and attitude and another is equally strong minded the battles commence. One will back down eventually but watch carefully in case blood is drawn. It could all end really badly. If one or both show signs of injury take them both out into isolation for a couple of weeks. This should 're establish the pecking order good luck
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:17 »
This can happen if a hen wishes to become head honcho! If you can isolate, within sight of the run the instigator, and return to the main run after 2/3 weeks. It should settle. However, if she is really determined ......... . :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 22:52 »
might be hormones. when my bantam started being more clucky, prior to broodiness, the others picked on her. Luckily she didn't go full broody and settled back into routine, collect eggs often.

hen addict

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:14 »
The one thing I have learnt in my experience of hen keeping is that the spring and summer months are hormone crazy, it doesn't matter what size shape or breed, hybrid or not once they go into full production or reproduction mode hen life is unpredictable to say the least! Expect anything is my motto. Trying to introduce new birds is a particular nightmare. The battle for top spot is challenged, as well as the best spot in the nesting box! Which is going on in my lot at the moment. The grumbling for the best roosting position at bed time. Come the autumn and the onset of the moult things have really settled down. Phew why do we do it every year.....  in anticipation of next spring ? :lol:

xx
Fighting Hens

Started by b'cark on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 14:27
by b'cark
xx
Hens fighting

Started by PJM on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 14:56
by PJM
xx
Hens were fighting over a small snake this morning!

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 16:34
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
fighting

Started by bramford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 07:24
by bramford

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 35 queries.