Wooohooo!

• 13 Replies

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Wooohooo!
« on: January 07, 2008, 21:11 »
Wooohooo! Hubby has agreed to me having a sizeable chunk of the bottom of the garden for a veggie plot (near the compost bin and shed, quite / very shady, bit wet ground cos very shady, clay soil but currently lawn). So we're not talking quality ground here but at least I might be able to grow some shade tolerant veggies in the spring hopefully!

What tends to be the first thing people sow?

Jaye (who is going to sort out her soil and compost heap first but would like to get something sown in March/April)

Selkie

Wooohooo!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 21:12 »
:D That's a great start Jaye, once your hubby starts eating home grown veggies he'll change his mind :D

WG.

Wooohooo!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 21:12 »
Nice one!  Avoid tatties if it is currently in grass (wireworm trouble)

splodger

Wooohooo!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 21:20 »
i'm going to be starting a few things off this week some-when - but they will windowsill then greenhouse (oh greenhouse - i got a greenhouse - yppee doh day  :lol: - first 1 in 20 yrs  :lol: )

you could sow seeds indoors now - quite a few things can be started - where are you again - i forget

gobs

Wooohooo!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 21:22 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
:D That's a great start Jaye, once your hubby starts eating home grown veggies he'll change his mind :D

Second that. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sally A

Wooohooo!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 21:23 »
You're getting him trained girlie....next he'll be widdling on your compost heap.

(Please see other posts, man wee is good for getting the compost going).

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Wooohooo!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 21:32 »
Splodger congrats on your greenhouse!

Sally A - that made me laugh - maybe that's a new way to potty-train the baby? (j/k)

What do i grow though ? Beetroot, spinach, salad leaves are definates. I'd also like some sort of onion and leeks but not sure if they need more sun. I am also considering growing some aspagus in a deserted flowerbed - nothing grows there though so I'd really have to sort the soil out. We all love asparagus - it was the baby's first ever finger food - he just nicked it off my plate at dinner one day!

I have a blackberry plant already but some raspberry canes would be nice too.

I forget who asked but i live in East Cheshire.

Jaye

splodger

Wooohooo!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 21:41 »
are you going to plant in the area you discussed the other day - by the conifer hedge?

are you  just going to dig the soil - or making a raised bed?

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Wooohooo!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 21:44 »
yes the area we disussed the other day. I think hubby is thinking of a normal gug plot but I was thinking that squares are better for working than lines because they i won't be walkingon everything. So that would mean i could get someof those link-a-bord raised bed thingys. I need something i can put together easily, i'm not a dab hand with hammer and nails!

jaye

gobs

Wooohooo!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 21:46 »
With your wet clay, go for wild asparagus, promised to grow anywhere, thinner spears, but very good flavour(Seeds of Italy).

I'm quite unsure about onion being any good candidate there, spring is too early for leeks out, sow them in a tray, but chives and welsh onions should be OK. You can so beetroot and lettuce in April, happily, also a lot of other salads.

If you keen on new pots, rather try them in a bin bag of compost or the bag of compost itself. :)

splodger

Wooohooo!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 21:57 »
Quote from: "Jaye"
yes the area we disussed the other day. I think hubby is thinking of a normal gug plot but I was thinking that squares are better for working than lines because they i won't be walkingon everything. So that would mean i could get someof those link-a-bord raised bed thingys. I need something i can put together easily, i'm not a dab hand with hammer and nails!

jaye

you don't need hammer and nails - well i don't use them for my beds anyway. i just cut the plank of wood to size (wood from freecycle) i dig down a little way - and let 1 edge of the wood to sit slightly below ground level - i make small wooden pegs - from offcuts (i use chestnut - but any thickish branch prunings would do) i hammer 1 on outside then 1 on inside of plank then another in and 1 out - etc - for a 10 ft plank i would normally use 5 3/4 inch round pegs (3 pegs on otside - 2 inside)

repeat for all sides -  so it's all snug fitting in corners - then fill with muck, compost etc

it will save you digging that rougher ground - and if you divided the bed up into sections - you'd have a little rotation going on - and you could all / omit muck etc depending on veg to grow there

a bed would be better than the soggy stuff you say you have there at mo

hope that makes sence - i'm too sober at the min - and my head hurts - probably from withdrawls  :wink:

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Wooohooo!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 22:02 »
Great ideas for the wild asparagus and welsh onions gobs!

Splodger that sounds easier than hammer and nails. We might have wood in the garage even - god knows what is in that garage tbh!  :oops:

Jaye

sweet nasturtium

Wooohooo!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 00:00 »
Jaye that's great news you've got a mini-plot for yourself.  It's a good idea to start small before you get an allotment, you can also enjoy having a cuppa when you want and the use of a fully flushing toilet!

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Wooohooo!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 14:55 »
Quote from: "WG."
Nice one!  Avoid tatties if it is currently in grass (wireworm trouble)

How long would it be before I could put spuds in WG? Next year?

Jaye

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 36 queries.