What on Earth is THIS??

• 26 Replies

Bulletguy

Re: What on Earth is THIS??
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 22:29 »
Yes, it's the "flowering" parts.

Using a flamegun may be fun, but you're just killing the top growth.

It was in our garden when I moved in, in 1986. It came up in beds and in the cracks of paving nearby.

I relentlessly dug it out of the beds, and cut it off as it appeared in the paving.

I haven't noticed it in the beds, recently, but it still appears in the paving cracks.

This year I plan to re-lay the paving, put heavy plastic sheet over the cracks, and then fill with cement.
I will see if this works,
in another few years.  ;)
BIB......it won't. Believe me!

Apparently the roots go down X metres deep and the only guaranteed way is excavation. It's like something out of Day of The Triffids and finds a way of getting through anywhere. Apparently it's one of the oldest known weeds.

Yes i know my flamethrower won't stop it, but it's by far the cheapest and most effective method. Weedkillers cost a damn fortune and don't even touch it. The small gas canister weed burners you can buy in DIY stores are ok, but take an absolute age just to do one sq metre......and the canisters aren't cheap.

The flamegun is purpose made. A lethal piece of equipment in the wrong hands....nearly saw my Garage go up in flame!  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 22:34 by Bulletguy »

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 22:31 »
I had mares tail on my plot lots of it ,i covered with plastic and carpet for a year and it dissapeared where it was covered. I  still get a bit coming back around the edges  but then keep the hoe going weakening it all the time it seems to work ;)
diggity dig dig

Bulletguy

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 22:33 »
I could not help laughing when I saw the photos. Just how bad is that? :blush:
Very. I'm often away for 3 or 4 months at a time and you should see what i come back to.

Those are truly impressive piccies, BG.  I've never seen the marestail at that stage of its life cycle before and they're very clear.
Thanks.

Does this mean i've won first prize in Wild flower section of the Gardening competition?  :lol:

Bulletguy

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 22:39 »
I had mares tail on my plot lots of it ,i covered with plastic and carpet for a year and it dissapeared where it was covered. I  still get a bit coming back around the edges  but then keep the hoe going weakening it all the time it seems to work ;)
Interestingly when i had the garden ripped out, before this stone chip stuff went down the guy covered the entire ground using a thick plastic sheet.

It's found it's way through. First came through after about five years.

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 22:55 »

This year I plan to re-lay the paving, put heavy plastic sheet over the cracks, and then fill with cement.
I will see if this works,
in another few years.  ;)
BIB......it won't. Believe me!

Apparently the roots go down X metres deep and the only guaranteed way is excavation. It's like something out of Day of The Triffids and finds a way of getting through anywhere. Apparently it's one of the oldest known weeds.

The roots do appear to be very persistent.

However, as far as I can see, Equisetum can only produce roots via translocation of energy from photosynthetic leaves.

Thus, the roots can only have a limited capacity for growth, if they are prevented from producing any leaves. 

In time, the underground roots must use up all their energy.

Maybe it's just a matter of how much time . . . . . .

Bulletguy

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 23:46 »

The roots do appear to be very persistent.

However, as far as I can see, Equisetum can only produce roots via translocation of energy from photosynthetic leaves.
I had to Google all that! Science and foreign language was never my strong point!  :lol:

Thus, the roots can only have a limited capacity for growth, if they are prevented from producing any leaves. 

In time, the underground roots must use up all their energy.

Maybe it's just a matter of how much time . . . . . .
Well......some chap carpets his garden and it disappears after a year.  :wacko:

I had a complete plastic membrane laid down but five years later they had sprouted.......with a vengeance.  >:(

jezza

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 23:55 »
its mares tale before the frond stage weed killer wont kill it at this stage pull it up at frond stage sbk brushwood killer is effective if the tops are stood on first .we crimped it by mistake when we pulled a lettuce planter through a 70by 10 derelict greehouse then sprayed it you could see where we had been a dead strip down the greenhouse  jezza

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 14:38 »
My Mum has this, I haven't tried anything yet but have come across this product.

It's very expensive but perhaps worth a try.

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kurtail-0-5LT/prod_2.html

Springlands

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 14:52 »
My Mum has this, I haven't tried anything yet but have come across this product.

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kurtail-0-5LT/prod_2.html

chrisnchris - if I remember correctly Kurtail is for professional use only and should not be used by ordinary gardeners.

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 16:40 »

chrisnchris - if I remember correctly Kurtail is for professional use only and should not be used by ordinary gardeners.

Oh........OK........thanks, I guess she'll have to get a "professional operative" in to undertake the (extra)ordinarily skilled process of donning a mask & working the highly technical manually operated spraying thingy.

Of course, you are absolutely correct. I will not be making a purchase.  :(

Not forgetting,

"This website cannot be seen to promote...."......etc. etc....   :)

I'd still like to know if anyone has experience of this product though.......someone...ahem...must have used it  ::) or perhaps you... ahem... know someone who has  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 16:54 »
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has used Kurtail too - in a professional capacity. We have one plot on our site that is covered in the stuff. Absolutely covered and just the one plot.

So I'm looking to see what we might do on our site if the person currently starting to work it gives up or asks for help. None of us would be using it - I've read the warnings about it and it would be a professional coming in.

Goosegirl

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 14:22 »
I so wish I had taken some pics about 3 years ago before our nephew took over our sheep field. Apart from the usual mare's tail in my front garden, these come from the nearby dyke at the back, so are a different variety. They were about 3 foot high and had spread all over the field entrance. If I'd laid on my back and taken the pics, it would have looked like I was in some sort of primeval forest!  :ohmy: I did dig one out of a nearby raised bed and it had the same look and colour of stalks as in your pic,  plus the root bit was also a hollow tubular thing, unlike the garden ones which are more black and fibrous-looking. Although I have seen the garden one in its fruiting stage which does look different, I've not seen them look quite like yours - YET!!  :mellow:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Egg in the earth

Started by maisie on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 23:31
by ihusker
xx
A compost question - Diotomaceous Earth?

Started by peggyprice on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 21:59
by peggyprice
xx
Earth Worms in Water Butt

Started by pol and mick on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 09:29
by savbo
xx
Diatomaceous Earth as pest control

Started by Superhero on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 07:15
by arugula

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 32 queries.