no-dig gardening and sowing seeds

• 10 Replies

al78

no-dig gardening and sowing seeds
« on: April 06, 2014, 20:42 »
Having done a bit of reading up on no-dig gardening and the reasoning behind it I think it would be a worthwhile thing for me to try (subject to being able to get hold of enough organic material). The question is, how do no-dig gardeners sow seeds like carrots, where the seed packet says something like "rake to a fine tilth before sowing"? Aside from the question of how to get a fine tilth anyway on heavy clay after the winter we have just had I would be interested to know how to sow seeds direct in the soil if the soil is heavy and you don't dig. :unsure:

Totty

Re: no-dig gardening and sowing seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 21:32 »
Your meant to sow seeds into the thick layer of organic matter you put onto the soil beforehand. I would strongly suggest digging the heavy ground over properly, and totally remove any weed roots etc initially.

Totty

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 22:01 »
Usually the no dig method is accompanied by first applying a thick layer of mulch and manures on the soil and planting into that. Before I did mine, I dug out all the big weed roots like dandelions that would simply growth through a mulch. For really bad ones like bindweed I did give them a direct spritz with glyphosate.

al78

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 22:53 »
Usually the no dig method is accompanied by first applying a thick layer of mulch and manures on the soil and planting into that. Before I did mine, I dug out all the big weed roots like dandelions that would simply growth through a mulch. For really bad ones like bindweed I did give them a direct spritz with glyphosate.

How does that work if you are planning to grow carrots?

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 23:09 »
I've been no dig for years but because my soil is derived from boulder clay and very stony I grow my carrots/parsnips in deep containers using sieved compost/soil.

If you apply thick mulches every year it's very easy to rake down to a fine tilth in spring but TBH most of my plants are module grown and planted out with a good root ball which gets them off to a flying start.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 04:17 »
Your first year or two you grow only the short, strong types like Chantenay. As you heap on more mulch, manure, etc, in progressive years the soil depth quickly increases and you can change to longer types like nantes, touchon, etc

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:56 »
I have raised beds on top of heavy alluvial silt and initially topped them up with compost, manure, mushroom compost, sand/grit and some bought-in top soil. The level does go down each year so you just keep topping them up. Normally, I don't dig them but recently had to have a team in to remove masses of weeds that grew due to my not beiong able to garden much last year, so there are clumps on the surface now. When they dry out somewhat, I will use the back of a rake to break them up, then use the rake on the surface soil to get a fine tilth again. When sowing seeds, I make a little groove in the soil by using the side of a piece of 1" x 1/2" wood just a bit deeper than the sopwing depth, then put some multi-purpose compost into the groove, pat it down then water it with a fine watering can rose. When the water has sunk in, I sow my seeds on top then cover with more compost and some fine tilth soil, then gently water again. For carrots and parsnips, I would suggest using shorter-rooted ones to start with, or you could dig a deeper trench and back-fill with sieved soil.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 14:34 »
Lots of homemade compost and leaf mould is a must-make if you want to carry on with the no-dig route.  My husband bought me a rotary sieve which combines the two mediums really well.  You don't need graded grains for most stuff on the plot but the small seeds do appreciate a bit of a tilth.  I mark the carrot row for sowing in with leaf mould and sand.  I started off with Paris Market, then Chantenay. As you tend your soil year on year it gets better if you keep adding to it and gets more and more friable.  I can grow full size carrots now, even the fat carrot D'Eysines. Had a brill showing from Nantes ones too

For veg plants I'm more slap dash as I don't rotovate either. I tend to grow my veg to a good strong plant before planting out, so they can cope better with the cut and thrust of the open plot

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 19:39 »
The key is keep adding loads of organic matter, the rotted horse manure I added in the autumn is quite fine now I just rake the odd lump out.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 19:41 »
I would just scrape a wide drill away to sow those sort of seeds(parsnip,carrots etc) then when germinated & growing strongly scrape the mulch back around the crop.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 11:46 »
i grow my carrots in dustbins and old water butts etc. in my raised beds they were wiped out by carrot fly. in the bins covered in fleece not lost 1 in 3 years. i keep my beds for the rest of the produce

xx
Sowing seeds now

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2018, 22:13
by sunshineband
xx
Sowing Seeds

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 08:09
by stompy
xx
sowing seeds

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 07:45
by lucywil
xx
Anyone sowing seeds yet?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 22, 2024, 13:00
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 37 queries.