• 14 Replies

bowler

compost
« on: April 04, 2014, 18:16 »
hi all has anyone tried asda compost 3x 70 litre bags for £10

Beetroot Queen

Re: compost
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 18:29 »
Not here, I have stuck to recommended ones after trying lidl and having terrible results.

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 19:42 »
It depends what you want it for. I only buy the cheap stuff to bulk out pots and potato planters.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 19:57 »
Verve seems to be the one 2 x125l from b&q for £11.98 ;)
diggity dig dig

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 20:06 »
Also. 3 allotments. An important detail that no one appears to have picked up on is that the 125 lit verve stuff is packed really tightly. Other brands I have seen may well be shown as 75 lit or whatever but if it is loosely packed then you are paying for air as well as compost. Just thought I would say.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 20:39 »
I recently bought a bag of Asda compost and it's rubbish imo...it's not really composty, more like shredded rather than composted.

I ended up mixing it with a bag of Westland as the texture was so bad.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 23:37 »
Also. 3 allotments. An important detail that no one appears to have picked up on is that the 125 lit verve stuff is packed really tightly. Other brands I have seen may well be shown as 75 lit or whatever but if it is loosely packed then you are paying for air as well as compost. Just thought I would say.

No, sorry, this is incorrect.  You will be getting 75L of compost. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:10 »
I brought some seed compost from pound stretcher - £1.20 for 25 litres I have to say it feels nice than the stuff that I brought some homebase (which had tiny bits of gravel in it).

Anyway its very early I have sown various seedlings around Tuesday of this week and already some are germinating already.

Fingers crossed but early indications are good.

danny1936

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 07:59 »
I had the Asda stuff last year. I found it ideal and therefore I bought it this year. No problems.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:29 »
I use Lidl coz its up the road, but 'cut' it with some bfb or hm compost  8) it's not great, but it's what I have.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 13:45 »

No, sorry, this is incorrect.  You will be getting 75L of compost.

Compost bags always give volume "when packed" so it does matter how tightly the stuff is compressed. They have no way of measuring the actual volume of compost minus the air spaces, so all they can give is the total volume of compost plus air. If they sold it by weight, that would be a different matter.
Never stop learning

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 14:12 »
I've been buying the Asda compost (3 for £10) for several years and it is perfectly fine.  Occasionally the quality is a bit below what I'd expect, but then so is a lot of other pricier compost.  I'd recommend it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 14:31 »
Compost bags always give volume "when packed" so it does matter how tightly the stuff is compressed. They have no way of measuring the actual volume of compost minus the air spaces, so all they can give is the total volume of compost plus air. If they sold it by weight, that would be a different matter.

If they sold it by weight, they'd also have to state the moisture content, which obviously can vary enormously, as well as giving the manufacturers a big headache with packaging, as a standard weight could vary a lot in volume depending on the ingredients that went into the mix (they'd either have trouble getting it into the bag or would have people complaining that the bags were half empty!)

Although MP compost is quite compressible, and the degree of compression no doubt varies between manufacturers, I think you need to look closely at the stated volume (what looks like a standard bag can vary from 50 litres to 75 litres), the price, and hopefully the quality, if only based on appearance, before choosing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 15:28 »

Although MP compost is quite compressible, and the degree of compression no doubt varies between manufacturers, I think you need to look closely at the stated volume (what looks like a standard bag can vary from 50 litres to 75 litres), the price, and hopefully the quality, if only based on appearance, before choosing.

That's true, although in my experience even two bags off the same pallet can have very different contents in terms of colour, texture etc.

It depends what you want it for too. I wanted a large quantity of organic matter to dump on my new beds, so I went for the 125L Verve. I might be more picky if it was for a potting mix (not that there was anything wrong with the Verve). 

Steveharford

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 21:05 »
Thanks Newsteve. I'm glad someone else can see it as I do. Just because the bag is 75 lit it doesn't mean that the compost filling it will amount to the same volume if it is loosely packed. As an example: a cubic meter of soil in the ground, when dug out becomes approx 2 cubic meters in volume as it is loosened up and air is added. That's why it does matter how tightly compost is packed into the bag. Verve is packed tightly and you therefore do get more compost than a loosely packed bag.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 38 queries.