GQT panelist feeds scraps

• 29 Replies

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
GQT panelist feeds scraps
« on: April 04, 2014, 15:40 »
Just listening to GQT one of the panelists said she boils potato peelings & feeds them to her chickens........isn't that illegal?
Surely with such a high profile programme, it's panelists and producers should be better informed.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 21:44 by chrisnchris »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: GQT panelist feeds scraps
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 16:09 »
Is it being vociferous for us to advise the correct legal situation and to cover the site owner's position ?

It's nice to know we're appreciated  :dry:

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 16:27 »
You are very much appreciated mum  :D

I'm not sure my sense of humour is always fully understood/appreciated though  :dry:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 16:39 »
Flattery will get you..........................nowhere  :lol:

Your choice of words didn't suggest humour to me - perhaps I'm over sensitive................................

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 17:23 »
You are right though CnC, they shouldn't be telling us these things on the TV or anywhere else.  They can do what they want in their own homes, but shouldn't be telling others to do things that are illegal.  Even if it is a daft law!  :(

maxyboo

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 18:58 »
I think it's also a law that many chicken owners have never heard of. I have mentioned it to several people who think I am joking. Perhaps they will mention it next week and advise people it is against the law. I'm sure a few listeners will be letting them know they got it wrong.

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 19:52 »
Illegal or not. What possible reason could there be for not doing it ? Why boil them anyway?  Genuine question as I used to have chickens and am thinking of getting some more. They will get any leftovers of any sort - veggie that is- and I certainly have never boiled them first.

maxyboo

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 20:26 »
I think it's to do with the scraps possibly becoming contaminated by meat products in the house and potentially introducing disease to your flock which can then spread. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will let us know though.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 21:20 »
We may all think it's daft BUT Mum hit the nail on the head the site can't be seen to condone it in the eye's of the law it is technically illegal  :(
I cook therefore I grow

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 21:27 »
If you mean feeding raw peelings as scraps, then cooking will break down the tough cell walls, destroy the enzyme inhibitors that prevent digestion and will better aid uptake of nutrients.  If you mean boiling food that has already been cooked (such as plate scrapings), you will lose what little nutrition is left not to mention the added salt - to be honest, you'd be much better off feeding the chooks with the recommended layers pellets than going down that road.  And then there's the stored / refrigerated foodstuff - if it looks past its best for you to eat, then it's probably past its best for the chicken IMO

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 00:12 »
My Dad always boiled up the peelings to make the food softer for his hens.  They wouldn't normally eat things like carrots, potatoes, so I think the raw stuff may be more difficult for them to digest.

It is silly I know, but like Maxyboo said, its to avoid possible contamination.

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 12:38 »
If the potato peelings have never been anywhere near a kitchen/feed prep area it is ok to feed them once boiled. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 12:47 »
The new rules basically say that nothing that has been in your kitchen should then be fed to your hens.  However daft it seems to back garden chicken keepers, they were brought in to prevent the spread of disease and cross-contamination.  After major incidents of foot and mouth and other nasties, you can see why it has happened.

If it hasn't come via your kitchen, you are not breaking any rules  :)  Just do bear in mind comments made about the best thing for their diets being the proper layers feed.  Green veg is great for chooks to peck at.  Too many spuds will make them fat and less likely to lay  :)

Jackypam

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 14:36 »
Maybe that's why our very elderly French neighbour boils up stuff for her chickens in an old cauldron over a fire in the garden.  Not the EU rules -I doubt she'd pay much attention to those! But for the absorption and to avoid the spread of disease.  I thought it was because its smells disgusting!  It's certainly not just potatoes!

Casey76

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 09:39 »
The rules in France are very different to the UK.  The rule about not feeding anything which has been in your kitchen is DEFRA specific.

In France we are encouraged to feed kitchen scraps to hens  ::)

xx
Feeds

Started by Dopey113 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 13:56
by JaK
xx
GM free feeds.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 00:34
by compostqueen
xx
Garvo feeds

Started by cammi on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 16:49
by uktitan
xx
how old before scraps?

Started by jackie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 08:30
by Casey76

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 39 queries.