Grrr garlic rust

• 10 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Grrr garlic rust
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:38 »
When looking closely at my garlic today as I was weeding around it I noticed they were infected with rust  :mad:

I cut all the infected leaves off which tended to be all the outer ones but now I'm not that convinced I will get a crop worth keeping? Annoyingly they also share a bed with the onions which are just popping up so I'm going to have to keep a very close eye they don't get infected either now!!

Nobbie

Re: Grrr garlic rust
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:42 »
I suspect we're in for a season of bugs and deseases due to the mild winter. My garlic was looking pretty healthy after a dose of ammonian sulphate,but I'll have a closer look now

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:53 »
You're pretty unlucky to have got it so early in the season, although as Nobbie has pointed out this winter will have done little to reduce the numbers of all sorts of pests and diseases.

According to the RHS the infections are worse on high nitrogen, low potassium soils, but your onions should be less vulnerable. Keep doing what you're doing and hope for the best.

RHS LINK
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 13:08 »
The sheer amount if water around combined with it being so  old and warm probably didn't help! Although my plot wasn't flooded half the site was.

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 13:34 »
I've had bad rust on my garlic in past years and never felt that it had any effect on the crop. Am I wrong - might the bulbs have been bigger if they hadn't had rust? They've mostly been of good size.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 13:56 »
From what I've read rust later in the season isn't a problem but it can reduce bulb size if there is rust early In the season. This is my first year growing garlic though so hard for me to say!

gobs

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 20:03 »
From what I've read rust later in the season isn't a problem but it can reduce bulb size if there is rust early In the season. This is my first year growing garlic though so hard for me to say!

I so would have it, if it's severe, it is not related to time. Have you any over-wintering leeks? Are they healthy?

What you can do - if can be bothered, since not often that it does serious damage - cover rust postules with vaseline to stop it from spreading further.

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 20:07 »
I pulled the last of my leeks about 5 weeks ago and they were fine but they were also at the other end of the plot. Thanks for the top about Vaseline - I might do that just to make sure it doesn't spread to my onions

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:12 »
I looked at my garlic yesterday after reading this and mine are covered too.  >:(

The overwintered ones are the worst. My plot was flooded too over winter and is still very sticky. The newly emerging stuff seems to be pretty clear.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 18:14 »
I've just cut off as much of the infected leaves as I could and left the new leaves that are coming through and so far appear fine. Fingers crossed!

Jackypam

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 22:46 »
I think I have rust on my last years leeks.  I will pull them up but can I put them on the compost or should I burn the leaves?  I will eat the white bits  :)

xx
GRRR! Rust on my leeks!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 19:51
by sunshineband
xx
Garlic rust

Started by Murray on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 15:37
by Murray
xx
Rust on Garlic

Started by Moomin Mama on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 08:57
by Hampshire Hog
question
Rust in garlic

Started by Sunbonnetsue on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2018, 15:17
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 37 queries.