Sourdough virgin

• 11 Replies

catllar

Sourdough virgin
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:07 »
Just started my first foray into the art of sourdough and I'm a bit bothered it's going so quickly. I made the mix yesterday and it's already doubled in size and is definitely whiffy.

Is this normal?

I believe I must wait for it to start to fall back before I refresh it, and  by this rate I'll have a usable starter by Tuesday and might well be running alive with bread before the week is out!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:07 by catllar »

Trillium

Re: Sourdough virgin
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 14:39 »
This article explains it way better than I could.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread/

Whiffiness says you have lots of natural bacteria floating in the air which your starter has absorbed and is utilizing.

catllar

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 16:49 »
Thanks for that Trillium - natural bacteria floating in the air? Does that infer my home is infected ins some way? :lol:  I used Paul Hollywood's method and added some grapes to get it going.  I've put it into a larger container and I'm going to chuck and feed it now.  Still not sure if I should let it collapse before feeding it, but my instinct says no, so that's the way I'm going - feed it while it still stands up

catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 16:09 »
It's still bubbling away and I've refreshed it every day so far. I might have a go at making a batch tomorrow.  There was rather a lot of liquid gunk in the bottom so this time when I fed it I reduced the amount of water I added.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:31 »
There's a long sourdough thread on here Catlar  :)  Sourdough bread making gets a bit addictive  :D

catllar

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52 »
There's a long sourdough thread on here Catlar  :)  Sourdough bread making gets a bit addictive  :D

CQ can you give me the thread link please? All I can find is this one!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 18:46 »
You can find more threads if you search for two words: sour dough  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 22:56 »
So it's all gone pearshaped for the moment - it's dead, so  I binned it and I'll start again, but I'll wait until I come back from England after Easter. I've got enough valid info now and it finally seems there are many ways to make this beast - the one constant seems to be organic flour - mine wasn't.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 00:11 »
Here's a video that might help you out:

5F86r7ByDFM

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 14:32 »
Organic flour here is usually about the same price as non so I buy it.   The organic flour is more suited to sourdough as the grain is not treated with chemical fertilisers etc etc and so  has more wild yeasts thriving on it, hence a better success rate when you light the touch paper  :D  You can soon tell if it's working as you can clearly see a living breathing organism. It'll open the lid on the Tupperware no problem  :ohmy:  :)   

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 15:41 »
I think some people also have a problem with their water. Most water is treated with chlorine, which is death to sourdough. Use only untreated water, or allow chlorine treated water to sit for 2 days to dissipate the chlorine and then use the water. Filtered well water is great if you have it. Or bottled water.

xx
Sourdough starter & sourdough bread

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

319 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 10:08
by RJR_38
xx
Sourdough

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 22:39
by Poolfield2
xx
Sourdough starter

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 11:00
by Lardman
xx
Help with sourdough starter

Started by allotmentann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 07:48
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 37 queries.