LEEK SEEDS

• 17 Replies

hanssg

LEEK SEEDS
« on: March 26, 2014, 19:09 »
 hi been away a few days and my leek seedlings have gone mad all bent over and intertwined can i carefully take some out and repot them and if so in what thx.

Beetroot Queen

Re: LEEK SEEDS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 19:28 »
They start off bent when they first come up, they straighten after a while.  :wacko: or are yours bigger. ?

hanssg

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 20:11 »
there about 3 inch long  ;)

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 20:36 »
Mine are about the same, and they are ok, but not yet ready to pot on (too thin). I will do that in about 2 / 3 weeks time depending on growth and temperature  :)
50/50 mix is what I use, compost/topsoil -  never had any seedlings struggling with that mix  ;)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 20:49 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 21:15 »
I note that these have grown 3" in a few days, whilst you were away.

Can we assume they were in some sort of propagator and the lid wasn't taken off as soon as they germinated?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jackypam

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 23:07 »
Mine have been going for about a month and are still 3 inches tall and look more like grass than leeks. I seem to remember having the same worry last year though, and I still have several fat ones in the onion bed, so it all worked out in the end.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 10:56 »
I pot mine up after they have 3-4 leaves and the seed had dropped off and use a 6" pot with nine to a pot. I find that watering them with dilute Maxicrop after a month or so as a foliar feed or whatever helps them along and they seem to develop a thicker stem more quickly.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 12:00 »
Having taken such great care to sow them 1" apart I certainly don't expect to have to transplant mine before their permanent move outside.

As has been noted before, getting them to reach 'pencil' rather than 'biro refill' size can be a long wait, but for those like myself hoping to plant them to follow early potatoes there's still plenty of time (especially as I've not planted my spuds yet!)

A liquid feed does help them along, especially if you think they're not bulking up fast enough to make your planting out deadline, but don't overdo it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jackypam

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 13:33 »
I just threw the end of last years seed in a 10cm pot to see what happened.  What happened was that they all germinated :lol: I will take your advice and feed them now.  I only have baby bio here at the moment ( on kitchen windowsill. Will that do?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 13:53 »
If you sowed them like that and haven't thinned them I think you need to do that first - they won't enjoy being overcrowded to that extent and no amount of feeding will compensate.

About 1" apart should be sufficient to keep them growing until planted out.

hanssg

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 17:06 »
dd yes they were and there looking very sad at the minute just lying flat on the soil could i rescue some and pot them on in something thx.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 17:09 »
sowed 2 to a cell in 40 cell trays ,only about 60 germinated  :mad:
I cook therefore I grow

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 17:58 »
dd yes they were and there looking very sad at the minute just lying flat on the soil could i rescue some and pot them on in something thx.

To be perfectly honest, I think it'll be easier to start again. It's still very early.

I only start mine off in a frost free greenhouse. Too much heat can lead to weak plants.

JohnB47

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 23:14 »
Something I noticed last year was that, whereas I held mine back waiting for the fabled 'pencil thickness', a neighbour transplanted theirs much earlier (ie thinner). Theirs romped away, whereas mine took a while to get going and they were picking much earlier. I've decided to get mine in the ground earlier this year.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 05:37 »
Ours only got sown this week. They're a late variety, as we don't want them until December/January.

A couple of years ago, they got away far to quickly, grew very tall, and didn't last the winter.

If they're sown now, moved into position in about mid July, then feed regularly, they peak around November/December, and that's when we really appreciate them!

xx
Leek seeds

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2007, 07:16
by DD.
question
Leek seeds

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 12:26
by gypsy
xx
leek seeds

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 09:05
by shaun
xx
T & M Leek seeds

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 23:43
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 38 queries.