Carrots - not orange

• 13 Replies

Snoop

Carrots - not orange
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:16 »
Someone gave us some red carrots the other day. They were delicious, nutty according to my partner, but the grower can't remember what they were called. The outside was almost purple, the core was white. I've had a look around on the web and the ones I've seen are purple or red but with an orange core, so maybe he had an odd mutated type.

Anyway, I'm guessing some of you grow red, black, yellow or white carrots. Any particular recommendations?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Carrots - not orange
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:34 »
I only ever bother with two varieties - both orange!

Early Natnes for quickness and flavour.

Autumn King for quantity and flavour!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43 »
I grew rainbow carrots last year and they were incredibly tasty. Normally I treat carrots as a penance, but I loved these.

Small Child also loved guessing which colours would come up. Though she was disappointed we had no red or purple.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:48 »
I grew some red ones last year and used them small and mixed with orange ones. They were very tasty but went in late which is why we ate them small. Can't remember the variety though, sorry. Got them from my local garen centre though so they will be T&M or Suttons, something every day.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:55 »
I grew rainbow carrots last year, ummm jury is out, they all grew at different speeds, bit of a novelty if you have space and time but otherwise I shall not bother again.

easyonthebrain

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:01 »
The red carrots I'm trying this year are called 'Atomic Red' don't know if it's the same variety or not but might help.

Regards

candygold1

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:44 »
i grew rainbow ones last year but wont bother again not very tasty imho

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 13:22 »
Last year I grew 3 colours,  orange (first attempt a variety that has done well for me in the past called Giant Red, but they were got by slugs. I'd used all my seed so I replaced them with an old packet of Early Nantes that did OK); purple (Dragon Purple); and yellow (Jaune Obtuse de Doubs).

I got a good crop from all three, but the Dragon Purple were very good from both a taste and yield perspective.  Yield on the yellow ones not as good as the others.

This year I am trying 3 varieties.  I am going with Dragon Purple again, an orange one called Touchon, plus a white variety called White Belgium from the Heritage Seed Library.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 16:46 »
Thanks guys. Will have a look at Dragon Purple. Not sure about the Rainbow ones. Sounds like they might be fantastic for kids, but oh has got his heart set on red ones and his wish is my command!

I take your point DD, as well. Will also be growing Paris Market and Nantes and trying some Autumn King. Last year was the first year we got a decent crop of carrots, and I liked them so much I might be going a bit overboard on varieties. :blush: Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 20:56 »
There is also Red Samurai. Not white but pink inside.

We liked Yellowstone.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 21:40 »
Did rainbow- we  had a nice few meals and they looked great at a dinner party as a novelty, doing Dragon purple this year.  My atomic red ones never did show....

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 11:19 »
Thanks for the advice. A search for Red Samurai took me to Seedaholic. They've got a few varieties of carrots that look quite tasty. The site's name is a good one!

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 19:13 »
There is a Chantenay Red Cored carrot, try Moreveg for these. They also seem to have another that looks red, Carrot Vita Longa,but the picture of it isn't that clear.

Seedaholic have 2 red carrots, Atomic Red and Red Samuari.
Not sure if purple ones are considered red ?

Both do seeds in smaller amounts so easy to try without getting a few thousand seeds.

Snoop

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:57 »
In my searches for carrots, I've come across the odd but interesting Thomas Etty esq. at thomasetty.co.uk

They have quite a few different types of carrot, including Spanish Black, which I have to try of course. So anyone interested in different coloured or heirloom-type carrots might want to have a look there as well.

Beware: no photos and some of the seed entries are a bit Charles Dickensish but an intriguing selection and not that expensive either, really.

xx
Lemon and Orange

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 18:18
by Yorkie
xx
I had a little orange tree

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 18:50
by WG.
xx
orange dots

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2006, 09:56
by noshed
xx
Orange and lemon trees

Started by whistler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 08:31
by Pip Judgeford

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 36 queries.