White Zebra
Cuban Flower
Essex Wonder
Green Giant
Hendersons WinsAll
Jumbo Jim Orange
Latah
Marizol Gold
Mortgage Lifter (Estler's - which I'm going to compare with Radiator Charlie's which I've grown before)
Quedlinberger Fruhe Liebe
True Black Brandywine (which I'm comparing against the ordinary Black Brandywine which I've grown before)
plus as many of my previous varieties as I can fit in but definitely Summer Cider, blooming Butcher, Azoychka, Red Cherry)

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
Re: Which tomatoes for 2014?
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 23:28 »
Put to shame by some of the long lists here - Sungold and Roma for me so I have golden cherry type and plum for cooking/juicing/passata making! As a plan worked well last year and if it ain't broke . . . leave it alone!

Headgardener22

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 02:48 »
Put to shame by some of the long lists here - Sungold and Roma for me so I have golden cherry type and plum for cooking/juicing/passata making! As a plan worked well last year and if it ain't broke . . . leave it alone!

I've never been successful with Roma, beefsteaks seem to do well for me so I grow Sunset's Red Horizon as a paste/sauce tomato - gives about 3 kilos per plant. However, each to their own it would be stupid if we all grew the same.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 07:30 »
I never have luck with more "southern" varieties such as san marzano. The growing season here is just too short. There is no afterseason to speak of. It is summer, and then one day it isn't any more. It is deep autumn overnight. 

So I fear I will always be restricted to early varieties. But that's ok. There are plenty of them. And maybe if I run out of things to test i will probably try to grow my own varieties.

Headgardener22

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 00:19 »
blooming Butcher are always first in my garden, beating everything else by a few days.

I'm trying to write 'blooming' (as in sanguine) but the word police keep changing it. Since when has this website prevented perfectly reasonable words?

Arrgh. Blooody!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:52 by Headgardener22 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 09:08 »
I'm trying to write 'blooming' (as in sanguine) but the word police keep changing it. Since when has this website prevented perfectly reasonable words?

Blame that on the people who wanted to use that word in every sentence  :dry:

Casey76

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 09:23 »
From seed I've started a mystery batch.  I bought an "heirloom mix" from Nickys Nursery last year/year before and I can't remember what the varieties are  :wacko:  Still, should be interesting ;)

In my seed packets I have a rather boring mix, and the seed is so old I might have to buy some new if I can bear the thought of paying extortionate amounts.  Having siad that, I saw a new variety of black cherry, it was called "kakao" or something similar (no doubt it has a completely different name in English ;) ) but the seed was almost 5€ for 10.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42 »
Rambling Red Stripe is my new one this year -- an Heirloom variety that is short and trailing, to add to our hanging baskets.

Picture looks good so let's hope they taste good too  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23 »
one of the older guys up the allotment said "chocolate cherry" are the best tasting cherry tomatoes he has ever had, he also went on to say he couldnt find them anywhere  :wub: so i ordered some seeds off the net and will let him have them once they are growing strong, he let me borrow his rotavator so its the least i could do  :)

SK
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 15:34 »
Big Daddy and Sun Cherry are my new ones this year. Also have some seeds I saved from a random plant that just sprung up last year! They must be from a previous years tom falling on the ground and growing, they where tasty so started some more off this year. No idea whether they'll even be same as I'm not sure if they where f1's or not! Be interesting to see what happens.  :lol:
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 18:52 »
Just set mine today. I always set of in individual pots in the house until big enough to go into the greenhouse. This year I'm doing Moneymakers, Tigrella, G Delight, and Black Cherry. I shall be doing some Roma later when my mate decides to let me have some seed.

xx
Still getting tomatoes, am I the only one ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 23:52
by hubballi
xx
Help with my Little Tomatoes

Started by LeahJean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 23:36
by Paul Plots
xx
tomatoes

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 08:11
by spuriousmonkey
xx
Top 3 tomatoes?

Started by Biscombe on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2006, 20:55
by lentil987

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 39 queries.