saving your own seeds

• 18 Replies

barley

saving your own seeds
« on: March 20, 2014, 17:15 »
I have really had success with saving my own seeds  :D

I have tomatoes , peppers , cucumbers , and pumpkins all starting to germinate from seeds I saved from last years crop - I also have courgettes and spaghetti marrow seeds yet to plant but hoping I should have the same results

has anyone tried saving other seeds - would love some tips on doing more of this as it saves buying them

Nobbie

Re: saving your own seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 17:25 »
I think you''ll need to wait and see what crops you get before calling it a success as who knows what polinated what before you saved the seed. The cucumbers, cougettes and pumpkin can all cross polinate I believe. Good luck :)

gobs

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 17:28 »
Probably you have read up on this and followed appropriate practice in saving squash, marrow, etc seeds against cross-pollination.

Beans are the easiest, everybody tends to save, as they are not F1s.

But by all means you can save from such too, they just might not come as true to type as the previous lot.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 17:28 »
I think you''ll need to wait and see what crops you get before calling it a success as who knows what polinated what before you saved the seed. The cucumbers, cougettes and pumpkin can all cross polinate I believe. Good luck :)

Spot on and an excuse to repost what should have been a marrow!

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Maarten

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 17:32 »
Hi,

I agree that it is very satisfying to save and grow harvested seeds.
You just need to be aware that many named varieties don't come true to type from your own saved seeds. This can be when they are self- fertilised, but especially when they are cross-pollinating. I don't know much about the tomatoes and peppers, but for courgettes, marrows, pumpkins etc it is well known that the  seedlings can be anything in between all the varieties of Cucurbits. On the other hand, with beans there seem to be less problems, as they don't easily cross-pollinate and I guess most varieties are not F1 stock.

All the best,

Maarten

Maarten

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 17:33 »
And I should have written faster, as I see some more posts now

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 17:36 »
It's addictive, isn't it!  :D But I didn't realise quite how many plants only flowered in the second year.

I find the Real Seeds information really helpful: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html and there are also Garden Organic's sheets: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/members/seed_saving/ and this seed saving handbook: http://howtosaveseeds.com/seedsavingdetails.php

I'm currently paintbrush-pollinating my lemon drop chillies which overwintered and are bursting into flower.  :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 17:37 by surbie100 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 17:41 »
As for beans not crossing. This should have been an "Enorma" runner bean. The seeds were saved from plants grown next to climbing purple French beans.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 17:43 »
DD, you have all the fun! :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 17:45 »
I get all the rubbish cross-breeds!

barley

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 17:51 »
will keep you posted on the results  ;)

still as long as there edible they were free so can't complain  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 18:13 »
Might I ask where you're going to put those pumpkin plants before it's safe to put them outside?

Asherweef

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 18:20 »
C'mon chuckles - it's international happiness day!

Ivor Backache

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 18:29 »
I have really had success with saving my own seeds  :D

Has anyone tried saving other seeds - would love some tips on doing more of this as it saves buying them

I always save seed from broad bean/runner bean/climb French been. They are easy enough- just let a handful of pods mature on the plant. Mark them with some coloured sticky tape. Dry them and put the seeds in an airtight tin. Even so I buy in fresh seed every 3 years, for the reasons that DD has shown.
The likes of carrot/parsnip/beetroot- does not make sense to have them occupying space for two years.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 18:31 »
The cucumbers, cougettes and pumpkin can all cross polinate I believe. Good luck :)

Nearly right, but no cigar - cucumbers and squashes are from the same family but aren't related closely enough to cross-pollinate, although cukes can cross-pollinate with other cukes (if they live that long, of course!)   :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
saving seeds

Started by greenchaos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 19:26
by greenchaos
xx
saving seeds

Started by derekmc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 12:17
by Totty
xx
Saving seeds

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2018, 09:12
by mumofstig
xx
Saving Seeds

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 24, 2006, 07:13
by hayles62

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 38 queries.