a good beginers book

• 42 Replies

babe

• elvis king of chooks
a good beginers book
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 20:36 »
thanks mike, ive put it in my watch list. its still got a couple of days to go. if it doesnt go to high i'll have a bid.

mikem

• Experienced Member
a good beginers book
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 22:26 »
Quote from: "babe"
thanks mike, ive put it in my watch list. its still got a couple of days to go. if it doesnt go to high i'll have a bid.

I have just spotted a couple of things:-

1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Your-Garden-Readers-Digest/dp/0276001702
The above have them at c. £22

HOWEVER
The following:-

http://www.sprintbooks.co.uk/scripts/browse.asp?ref=0276442636&source=K84

Shows that a paperback is due to be published in April 2008, the above web site is quoting £10.79.  The details they are showing are listed below and it seems to be the same as the one I have got except in paperback.

Reader's Digest; (Apr 2008); Pages: 320
  ISBN:0276442636; ISBN13: 9780276442636 ; Our Ref: 0276442636
  Format: Paperback   (Dimensions: 213 x 265 )
  Subject: General - GARDENING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description / general overview :

Here is a gardening book with a difference; a complete grow-it, cook-it guide to fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. Pick a crop and this comprehensive A-Z handbook will guide you step-by-step through every stage of choosing varities, planting, growing and harvesting. There are tips for making the most of your fabulously fresh ingredients in your cooking. There are also dozens of tempting recipes for preserving a glut of produce as delicious chutneys, jams, wines and more. Whether you've got an allotment or just a backyard plot, a raised bed or a container, you can grow fresh, nutritious and healthy seasonal food. There's lots of advice on growing organically so that you know exactly what you're putting on your plate. And, when you can measure your food miles in metres from plot to pot, you can be sure that you're helping the environment too.

Contents :

Basic Guide to the Kitchen Garden
- A-Z of Growing and Cooking
- A Food Grower's Calendar
- Pests and Diseases
- Home Preserving
- Index
- Acknowledgements.

Additional Info :

A gardening guide to fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. It guides you step-by-step through every stage of choosing varities, planting, growing and harvesting. There are tips for using fresh ingredients in your cooking. It contains dozens of tempting recipes for preserving a glut of produce as delicious chutneys, jams, and wines.

SkipRat

a good beginers book
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 22:37 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
It's gotta be Dr Hessayons Veg & Herb Expert.

Ditto  :lol:
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

SkipRat

a good beginers book
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 22:40 »
Quote from: "mikem"
Whilst it is now out of print I have used the Readers Digest Book "Food from your garden" for years.  I have found it really good although I guess that it may be a bit out of date in some parts e.g. chemicals.  There is one on EBay at the moment Item number: 250202404577.  There is an A-Z guide of fruits, vegetables and herbs; a food growing calendar; details of pests and diseases; home preserving; making wine !!!, keeping poultry and bees.  Hard back 380 pages.  Whilst I have lots of other books this is the one that I always turn to.  :D

Mikem I also have this book and it is brilliant, can fully recomend it.

Scribbler

a good beginers book
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 12:19 »
I've got Carol Klein which is good, and I got Andi Clevely for Christmas which is brilliant. Dr. H is a good starting point for basics, just ignore the chemical bits.

My bedside cupboard is groaning under the weight of all the books. I'll post a list when it stops raining!
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

mashauk

a good beginers book
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 14:18 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
I've got Carol Klein which is good, and I got Andi Clevely for Christmas which is brilliant. Dr. H is a good starting point for basics, just ignore the chemical bits.

My bedside cupboard is groaning under the weight of all the books. I'll post a list when it stops raining!

I like Andy Clevely's book too, it was my bible last year.

David.

a good beginers book
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 14:42 »
Quote from: "SkipRat"
Mikem I also have this book and it is brilliant, can fully recomend it.

And me too (first edition), ditto! I've saw 2 a t car boots last year, both about 50p. There also seems to be loads of Readers Digest books turning up in charity shops at the moment

babe

• elvis king of chooks
a good beginers book
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 01:05 »
Whilst it is now out of print I have used the Readers Digest Book "Food from your garden" for years.  I have found it really good although I guess that it may be a bit out of date in some parts e.g. chemicals.  There is one on EBay at the moment Item number: 250202404577.  There is an A-Z guide of fruits, vegetables and herbs; a food growing calendar; details of pests and diseases; home preserving; making wine !!!, keeping poultry and bees.  Hard back 380 pages.  Whilst I have lots of other books this is the one that I always turn to.  :D

been looking about for this book..... and came across this.

are they releasing an updated version?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Garden-Allotment-Readers-Digest/dp/0276442636/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199840427&sr=1-3

or do i still go for the 1977 copy

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
a good beginers book
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 07:15 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Garden-Allotment-Readers-Digest/dp/0276442636/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199840427&sr=1-3

It says it's not been released yet, so it looks updated & may be up to speed with the modern day use (or not) of chemicals. No release date, so I think John's will hit the market first!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mikem

• Experienced Member
a good beginers book
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 09:52 »

The web site shows a publication date of 25 April 2008.  Providing that you are happy to plant the seeds from the information on the packet then I would wait for the book to be published but I am biased as I really like the original 1977 copy.  Perhaps get both?

WG.

a good beginers book
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 10:43 »
 Perhaps get both?
And OF COURSE a copy of the book by that John Harrison bloke  8)

scott&fiona

a good beginers book
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 11:29 »
As I am new to growing veg not only did I get Dr Hessayons book but also "the allotment book" by Andi Clevely which has alot of good tips but covers everything from clearing the plot to sheds and of course what to grow, dont know what you more seasoned growers think if you have seen or read the book :?: I got it in the WH Smith sale before Christmas for a tenner i think.
just beginners and got lots to learn

babe

• elvis king of chooks
a good beginers book
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 11:42 »
Quote from: "WG."
 Perhaps get both?
And OF COURSE a copy of the book by that John Harrison bloke  8)

ive ordered the veggie expert to get me started.

i think i'll wait for the new readers digest to come out in april, sounds like thats the one to have....oh and of course the one by that john blokey.

thanks for everyones help....im gonna drive you nuts with stupid questions when i start sowing me seeds  :wink:

noshed

a good beginers book
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 14:12 »
Alan Titchmarsh's How to Be A Gardener is surprisingly good - expensive and lots of stuff you don't need but worth getting out of the library. There are several volumes.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mikem

• Experienced Member
a good beginers book
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 15:42 »
:oops: I think that being a newcomer I missed out on John Harrison - obviously a very famous gorgeous (to females not males) writer that contributes to this site.  I will therefore add this book to my library (pile of books) when it is issued.  Whilst John will no doubt be too bashful to put an entry on this website perhaps we should strongly encourage him to do so :!:

xx
Recommend me a good veg book

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post December 01, 2008, 22:59
by peapod
xx
dvd for allotment beginers

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 17:59
by focusonveg
xx
beginers questions re cabbage and cauli and chilis

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 19:23
by chili
xx
beginers questions re:-tomatoes,chilis,peppers

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 22:11
by peapod

Page created in 0.748 seconds with 37 queries.