When to lift veggie-mesh?

• 1 Replies

Hitman

When to lift veggie-mesh?
« on: March 17, 2014, 18:10 »
Hello all,

I have created some raised beds and covered one of them with veggie-mesh (picture attached if it works).  I was wondering if there is a best time-of-day to open the mesh to plant things and do other jobs, i.e. when the insects are less active to get under/inside the netting?

Thank you

Hitman
image.jpg

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Re: When to lift veggie-mesh?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 23:10 »
Looks good  :D. There's no need to keep the mesh on just now if the bed is empty.  It's expensive stuff, so I'd keep it in the shed until you need it.

I guess you'll be sowing  carrots or planting brassicas, from April onwards?  Legend has it that if you're picking carrots mid summer, it's best left until evening when the carrot fly is less active - and weeding a carrot bed through the growing season is also best done as a covert mission  :D  I've yet to see a carrot fly in the flesh ...... But have had late carrots ravaged by them - not a pretty sight  :ohmy:

I was a late convert to enviromesh for carrots, and don't regret the expense now (it was hard at the time justifying it, for sure) so your investment will be rewarded over the years if you look after it :D

Can't comment on brassicas, as I can't yet afford enviromesh for them, and use netting and cabbage collars.

Best of luck  :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 23:22 by shoozie »

xx
WE HAVE LIFT OFF !!!

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 19:47
by Beetroot Queen
clip
Should i lift my onions?

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2018, 20:52
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
when to lift potatoes?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 12:52
by Lee G
xx
When to lift garlic

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 17:37
by AnnieB

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.