This isn't going to work is it?

• 16 Replies

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
This isn't going to work is it?
« on: March 16, 2014, 21:25 »
I used to keep a few chickens (24) they had a secure wire run, they were let out in the morning & put to bed at night.

A friend & his wife are going to get 4 hens, ex battery.
They have a huge garden with orchard & 4 acres of woodland so plenty of space!!
They will keep the hens enclosed for a few weeks to get used to the coop which will have an automatic door to open in the morning & shut at night.
When they have become acclimatised to their new environment, they then intend to let them roam free all day & put themselves to bed at night......before the door closes :unsure:

I can't see this working, they will be completely unprotected. Surely Mr Fox will have a very easy supper.

What do you think?

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: This isn't going to work is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:21 »
Foxy will be there for sure - might take a while - just long enough for you to really love your hens.

One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:13 »
Mr Fox might well appear if they is one around. You could suggest to them to have a secure run as complete free range hens with plenty of hiding places will mean no eggs as they will not be able to find them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:00 »
mine usually free range all the time including over night - some sleep in the trees (they are descended from the jungle fowl so that is natural behaviour for them). I took the decision to get quite flighty breeds because of that also I never clip their wings to stop them flying. In over eight years of this I have had two mink attacks (the local farmers came and did a mink cull and we haven't spotted one in three years). This is a risk I was prepared to take so that my girls can roam wherever and whenever they want so perhaps this is what your neighbour wants to do.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 14:40 »
This is a very, very bad idea.  Those hens haven't had a mother hen to teach them to listen and to be very wary of their environment, how to seek shelter if in danger, etc.  They will be given a death by fox, owl, weasel, or stray dog.  Very worrying! :ohmy:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 15:53 »
One of my relatives had a wood full of feral banties but they were far sharper than your average ex-batt!

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 16:28 »
Do they have dogs? If so, simply the smell of the dogs might keep the foxes at bay. We have a lot of foxes around where I live (out in the country with no neighbours for miles, so plenty of territory for foxes). Along with our three dogs, we currently have two chickens (more due to arrive in a few weeks). They roam free from about midday onwards (after I've collected any eggs) and take themselves to bed just before sundown. I shut them in at some point later on. The only time they are shut into their compound is during hunting season. In the five years we've kept chickens, we haven't lost one to foxes. The chickens have proved surprisingly confident with the dogs, will take one on if they think it's being a bit too pushy and will defend each other.

My only doubt about your friend's plan is the timing of his automatic door. He'll need to vary it as the days get longer and shorter to ensure his chickens aren't left outside on a long evening once the door has shut. Like joyfull, we don't clip our hens' wings and I would recommend your friend do the same.

Also, ours never had a 'traditional' mother hen. While ours have probably never seen a fox, they have seen other predators, as we also have eagles and buzzards here too, and they know instinctively what to do. When they hear one or spot one in the sky, they stand absolutely stock still and look at the ground, presumably to avoid their eyes giving them away. They coo quietly to each other as warning calls and even our dogs and cats are now alert to their behaviour as a signal that trouble may be afoot.

I'm sorry if others disapprove of this approach. Our chickens' mood noticeably improves when they start to roam about the place.

If your friend is keen on "free-range" birds, he might like to consider guinea fowl as well. They kick up a right racket at the sight of predators, apparently, and would alert to the presence of foxes.

Sandyback

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 16:53 »
Foxes ain't stupid and the smell of a dog will not deter in my opinion.
A neighbour went down the free range go to bed when your tired route, I did warn her that Charlie wouldn't take long to suss it out.
Sure enough 3 weeks later it started, 17 hens gone in a week. My kennel is down the garden and it didn't put the fox off, I eventually shot it, only to have another take its place.
Other than netting the roof, and taking several other measures I think its far easier to shut them up, you still need the coup secure and chew proof.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 18:52 by Sandyback »

barley

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 19:33 »
everyone I know who has not protected their hens from predators whether it be fox , mink , buzzards has lost some or all of them  :(

predatory creatures kill for a meal and if there's one going free and easy it will be taken  :ohmy:

I keep mine in a fox and buzzard proof run when I'm not there and they have never been attacked whilst in a protected environment - but they do free range when I'm there and yes even I lost one to a buzzard right in front of my eyes  :ohmy: so even a human will not deter a hungry creature 

good luck hens - your going to need it  :mellow:

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 19:47 »
Foxes ain't stupid and the smell of a dog will not deter in my opinion.
A neighbour went down the free range go to bed when your tired route, I did warn her that Charlie wouldn't take long to suss it out.
Sure enough 3 weeks later it started, 17 hens gone in a week. My kennel is down the garden and it didn't put the fox off, I eventually shot it, only to have another take its place.
Other than netting the roof, and taking several other measures I think its far easier to shut them up, you still need the coup secure and chew proof.

On youtube have a look for "what the fox actually said"

It features a vixen trying to elope with the family dog ! :lol:

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 20:45 »
Thanks for all the input, pretty much as I was thinking.
They are planning ex battery hens so I assume the wings will already be clipped.

The only positive note is that they're only planning 4 hens so the predicted "loss" won't be that great....except for poor chooks of course :(

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:44 »
I don't think the wings will be clipped as there is no need for indoor hens. They will be lucky if they have feathers!

Any free ranging of hens risks a loss to predators - I have known chooks go in the middle of the village during the day and they had three dogs. However, areas do vary, indeed, my chooks were only a quarter of a mile from the middle of the village and I never had a problem free ranging during the day. I lost my chooks, ducks and quail to floods because they were shut up against predators at night! :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 09:17 »
How about this stuff? With an electical device? Omlet is always pricey but good and will resell.  Its the least ugly option I know of.
I foxproofed my entire garden - cost a fortune but the peace of mind is priceless.

Regular fox attack stories on here - eveyone so sympathetic - they hadn't fox proofed.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/omlet_chicken_fencing/

Sparkyrog

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 09:48 »
How about this stuff? With an electical device? Omlet is always pricey but good and will resell.  Its the least ugly option I know of.
I foxproofed my entire garden - cost a fortune but the peace of mind is priceless.

Regular fox attack stories on here - eveyone so sympathetic - they hadn't fox proofed.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/omlet_chicken_fencing/

PLEASE NOTE - This netting is intended as a means of keeping your chickens in a contained area. It is not predator proof and cannot be electrified.
I cook therefore I grow

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14 »
Ooops - good point.
An allotment ownner friend keep his safe with an electrical fence no higher than that though. I remember it was easy to step over and into it.  I'm sure there is a way.

xx
Would this work???

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 07:39
by joyfull
question
Do they work

Started by gaz.grace on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 20:17
by gaz.grace
xx
NO wonder I'm not getting any work done ......

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 22:51
by kattcottrell
xx
quarantine pen did not work

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 20:41
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 38 queries.