Garden Planners

• 2 Replies

Asherweef

Garden Planners
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:44 »
Morning - after getting some glares this morning for taking a crowbar and mini-sledge hammer to the bamboo at 8 I've come back inside to plan the new vegetable patch-cum-backgarden.

I've taken some measurements and don't have a huge space (actual growing space about 32ft*15ft) but from using the Mr Fothergill's planner I seem to have even less space than imagined when you take plant spacing into account. I'm wondering if it's acceptable to ignore the spacings and plant at will - for instance the planner is telling me that I should only be able to get two strawberry plants into a spot that I had 4 in last year…

Any advice would be appreciated!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Garden Planners
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:19 »
As someone who also has restricted space I appreciate the problem - there's no 'one answer fits all" solution because some crops will tolerate closer spacing better than others, and the weather and how much extra effort you're prepared to make to compensate for it also makes a difference.

To give a couple of examples, if you overcrowd onions you will get more but smaller onions, if you overcrowd sweet corn you run the risk of the overlapping leaves getting in the way of pollination (unless you cut them off or move them out of the way!)

I've seen the recommended spacing for strawberries up to 2 feet in each direction - mine are half that and do quite well but they may well do better still with a bit more room....

If I had to make a generalisation, I reckon that you will usually get away with knocking 10-20% off the recommended maximum spacing of any crop without causing too many problems.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Asherweef

Re: Garden Planners
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:14 »
As someone who also has restricted space I appreciate the problem - there's no 'one answer fits all" solution because some crops will tolerate closer spacing better than others, and the weather and how much extra effort you're prepared to make to compensate for it also makes a difference.

To give a couple of examples, if you overcrowd onions you will get more but smaller onions, if you overcrowd sweet corn you run the risk of the overlapping leaves getting in the way of pollination (unless you cut them off or move them out of the way!)

I've seen the recommended spacing for strawberries up to 2 feet in each direction - mine are half that and do quite well but they may well do better still with a bit more room....

If I had to make a generalisation, I reckon that you will usually get away with knocking 10-20% off the recommended maximum spacing of any crop without causing too many problems.

Thanks J - I suspected as much. I suppose this can be a bit of a trial for me as well… I'm not growing particularly difficult veg this year so if it all goes wrong I'll be OK!

xx
Planners

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 15:59
by allotmentor
xx
best day ever in the garden

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 15:13
by Bombers
xx
Does anybody want to use my garden?

Started by Amy** on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 21:42
by Salmo
xx
THE GARDEN HAS GONE MAD!!

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:24
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 37 queries.