cat claws

• 5 Replies

diospyros

cat claws
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:36 »
My cat has always been a bit prone to getting his claws caught in carpets and fabric, but it's getting worse.  He has access to outside, does lots of fence climbing, and a nice wooden mushroom he likes to sharpen them on.  He is probably about 13 now.  Is it something that gets worse with age?

I tried filing them with an emery board which he took great exception to and kept chasing it and trying to bite it, but he let me clip them with a nail clipper.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Trillium

Re: cat claws
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 21:36 »
We have to use the nail clipper on our terror otherwise the furniture would be in total shreds by now. She hates it but a vet trick we learned is to hold the cat down on the back while all 4 feet are tucked down as usual in a crouch. It's very hard for the cat to escape from this position. Now you can take a paw at a time and clip them.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 17:55 »
And yes they do find it harder to keep them down as they get older.  Ours at 17 has to have claws clipped about every other month.  Nail clippers definately work best.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 18:46 »
Thanks - it is clippers for us then.  From experience, you can do something he doesn't like about half a dozen times before he starts thinking about serious avoidance measures, so this should give me a year or so before I resort to judo holds!

grendel

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:51 »
we use a decent pair of toenail clippers on our 6 cats, about once a month keeps them in check, front claws tend to need doing more often than back, some squirm a little, if they squirm a lot use teamwork, one person uses the mummy cat hold on the scruff of the back of the neck and they will go docile, and present 4 paws ready for clipping to your accomplice.
-Mummy cat hold - https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110920183804AAa7cH7
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:20 »
Scruffing doesn't work for all cats though ;)  My female cat, Domino, goes completely mental if you scruff her.  She also hates being confined, held, her somach touched...

All worming etc has to be done in a sneak attack with a spot-on.

xx
cat's claws

Started by sunshineband on Pets without Feathers

27 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 19:21
by noshed

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 37 queries.