how to prune blackberry bushes?

• 5 Replies

3759allen

how to prune blackberry bushes?
« on: March 15, 2014, 21:10 »
this is a bit of a strange one with factors involved that are out of my control, so not expecting a text book answer.

what i need to know is how to prune blackberry bushes?

the trouble is they aren't actually my bushes, they are growing against the other side of my back fence (6 ft ). they are in between a large industrial unit and my fence on waste land/ brocken concrete/ rubbish. i can't actually see the bottom of them so can't see what they're growing in, so obviously any feeding or mulching is definitely out.

so basically i can get to half of the bushes from 5ft high, up to the top. what if anything should i be cutting back?

there's still the branches from last year with the bits that produced the fruit (not very scientific but i'm sure you know what i'm talking about).

thanks all.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: how to prune blackberry bushes?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 21:35 »
I'd trim off the tops of the canes that had last year's fruit on and as much old wood as you can reach  ;)

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:21 »
Blackberries crop on 1 year old wood. So tie in last years new growth and cut out the old wood.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 16:30 »
thanks for the replies.

i'll add cutting the dead bits off to my things to do list.

as far as tying them back that will be an issue as there's nowhere to tie them to. i'll just have to leave them to crawl towards the fence so i can pick easier.

thanks.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:55 »
Can you put in some bamboo canes or similar to tie them to? It will make picking easier and also stop them rooting at the tips when they touch the ground and getting too near your fence.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 13:38 »
no chance of training in any way. there's basically a blackberry jungle in the 3 or 4 foot of waste land between a large industrial unit and my fence.

when i moved into the house last year half the garden was a bramble mess. i chopped them back to the fence to clear the garden (veggy plot).

oh yeah there's only a couple of foot max between the fence and a 30 foot long poly tunnel. so training them over the fence is not an issue, or any sort of over hanging branches. i'd rather less fruit than a torn tunnel.

last year i climbed on a ladder against the fence and reached what i could. i had loads of fruit last year (at least 30 or 40 punnets), which is a bonus considering it's free and takes non of my space or goodness.

xx
When to prune blackcurrant bushes

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 17:19
by Kleftiwallah
xx
New black currant bushes prune or not

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 21:00
by love-my-plot
xx
Removing Blackberry bushes

Started by Half a plot man on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 17:57
by Half a plot man
xx
Removing overgrown blackberry bushes

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 07, 2014, 18:58
by Totty

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 30 queries.