public dont want caged chickens eggs

• 13 Replies

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:36 »
Please see the link which tells that eggs from caged brids are being phased out AND faster than first predicted.

This looks like good news for future generations of chickens however I would think that there are going to be a lot of surplus ex battery hens who will be surplus to requirements soon!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20080106/tuk-caged-hen-eggs-concern-spurs-action-6323e80_1.html
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

Bodger

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 13:56 »
They don't want to pay a fair price for their food either, so somewhere along the line, something has got to give.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 14:01 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
They don't want to pay a fair price for their food either, so somewhere along the line, something has got to give.

:? Sorry Bodger, Aunty's confused today  :?  I don't understand what you've said  :?

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 21:56 »
its true that everyone wants a bargain and if they dont have to see the poor chickens caged up they can just bung the eggs in their trolley and carry on happily.

I still think if more people understood how rewarding keeping chickens is and how economical, more people would do it.  Trouble is keeping chickens seems to make you an odd ball, at least that is the reaction I have had so far, people are amused to hear that I keep chickens and then seem to think I must be a bit weird, they soon ask if I get surplus eggs though!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 19:22 »
Please watch Channel 4 tonight at 9pm - and support the Compassion in World Farming link at the top of this page.

Hopefully people will pay to have food without cruelty when they see the truth.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Selkie

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 19:26 »
John, well done for the CIWF link :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 19:44 »
really interesting site, loads of information. thanks john

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 00:44 »
There will also be a lot of scrap metal around when they finally ban the cages, but a lot of battery egg farmers will either go out of business, or be looking for larger premises, because many have BIG sheds, but no outside land, so they can't just start letting the birds free range.

On the other hand, if more farmers started to rear free range chooks whether it be for eggs or meat, the prices will gradually comedown.

unfortunately, the farmer will still be the hardest hit and the supermarkets will make the most AS USUAL!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:15 »
I reckon you're right, Grannie. The supermarkets will win because they control the market now. The farmers are pushed to the wall and the only way they can keep their business (and family house!) is often to cut corners.

Agribusiness is even worse -
I recently wrote "... This results in the obscenity of battery hens and staff so divorced from the stock that they played baseball with live turkeys as the ball. Although there are strict controls on pesticide and herbicide use, you have to speculate if these are adhered to in practice by all. Tests carried out by the Soil Association would cast doubt on that obedience to the rules."

Survival Gardening

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 21:03 »
mm I have some sympathy for this right up unitl I remember the farmers I knew, they worked hard but they lived very well too and if they sold up they would have been quite rich enough thankyou, with plenty of money for a home and garden.  So I do not have toooo much sympathy for the poor hard up farmers that I keep hearing about but have yet to find.

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12 »
We watched the  Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall (?) programme the past two nights, very interesting viewing.  I wish I could buy free range hens to eat here, never seen them in the supermarket or butchers -yes, butchers shops still exist in Spain, as do green grocers and fishmongers :D
Pamela (in Spain)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:31 »
Quote from: "chickychick"
mm I have some sympathy for this right up unitl I remember the farmers I knew, they worked hard but they lived very well too and if they sold up they would have been quite rich enough thankyou, with plenty of money for a home and garden.  So I do not have toooo much sympathy for the poor hard up farmers that I keep hearing about but have yet to find.

Well I don't know too many farmers but I do know they have had a really high suicide rate. In actual fact the profit return on investment seems low. Land costs are so high in the UK.

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 16:29 »
yes the suicide rate is high among farmers, apparently its as much loneliness as anything else, as you say land has a high value in the uk, so perhaps some  lonely farmers should sell up, cash in and be happy.  

Im not really being as glib as this sounds however, I think its a case of 'they knew the risk when they took the job'  there are far worse things in life than finding yourself a farmer not making a big enough profit on your land and holdings.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 17:06 »
I know there are worse things than not making enough profit - doesn't stop me having sympathy for individual farmers though.  I feel really sorry for anyone coping with financial ruin.  Been there myself and it's no joke.

If all the farmers got together and refused to supply the supermarkets unless prices rise I bet the papers would be full of greedy farmers hold us to ransom but I really don't see how else they will win.

xx
"Chuks dont free range to far there's a public footpath

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 14:12
by Roughlee Handled
xx
battery caged chickens

Started by rowlandwells on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 15:03
by rowlandwells
xx
plants that the chickens dont eat

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 20:20
by richyrich7
xx
chickens dont want to go in their house

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 19:38
by animal mad

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 37 queries.