Early Morning Club

• 2706 Replies

cadalot

Re: Early Morning Club
« Reply #1905 on: January 09, 2015, 07:03 »
Robster

Yes it is, only flat and dipped in bitumen and used in brick walls since the Victorian era as an early type of bed joint reinforcement.  It is positioned within the vertical height of the walls at intervals varying from 150mm to 900mm centres (most usually at 450mm centres).

On elevations where it has been placed towards the outer weather skin, and that get saturated by driving rain on a regular basis, or on elevations where the pointing has come to the end of its life and needs attention they rust.

As metal rusts it expands to 7-10 times its original thickness, and horizontal cracks start to appear in the wall which looks like cavity wall tie failure. Insurance companies would consider any problem occurring as a result of hoop Iron to be a latent defect and therefore it would not be covered by a householder's buildings insurance.

In the early 1990's houses in Carshalton and Morden could not be bought or sold for a period as Banks and Building Societies would not lend money on the properties containing Hoop Iron. I was at the time a Structural Engineer with the Local Authority who with a Building Surveyor did the research into the problem for a report on the subject.

As a result of the report and a decision made by Central Government, and meetings with the 5 major lending banks and Building Societies of the day took place regarding finding and establishing what form the bed joint reinforcement takes (as there are mesh versions as well) after which properties could once again be bought and sold with a Structural Engineers Report on the Hoop Iron.

I undertake surveys and produce a Structural Engineers Report on what I find so that purchasers can sent to their mortgage lenders to obtain their mortgage.

Below is a photograph from a typical report showing where it has been found and I removed a little of the pointing and you can see the Hoop Iron
CAD0048 Report Front Flank.JPG
CAD0048 Hoop Iron.JPG
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:15 by cadalot »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #1906 on: January 10, 2015, 08:18 »
Morning all. I've been out and established that not only has a thaw started, but it was also raining. :D

Now hiding in the house as OH has gone across to next door to help with the killing and butchering of the steer. Tends to be rather a noisy affair so will stay in till I see bits of meat hanging in the rain. A bit much for this veggie's sensibilities. :ohmy: Anyhow, OH has been giving instructions to tell beloved neighbours I am busy baking all day and will not be partaking in the celebratory meatfest which will inevitably happen later :closedeyes: (I usually have cold fried eggs at these gatherings) :(

So large fig and almond tart in the oven for OH to take back with him for the happy butchers to keep them sweet. ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1907 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32 »
Morning all, up early watching Ealing comedies and trying not to cough. The poplar tree next door is grating along the roof & guttering and downstairs were thumping on the ceiling thinking it was me. Exactly what they thought I was doing is beyond me!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1908 on: January 10, 2015, 09:56 »
It's always an early morning when you had too much red wine the night before! :wacko: :lol:

Even 10am feels early!! :blush:

snowdrops

« Reply #1909 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01 »
I was late today 8:30 before I surfaced for the day,what bliss, slept well too :) :) :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Springlands

« Reply #1910 on: January 10, 2015, 10:12 »
Very little sleep here overnight then was reluctant to surface - the storms have now disturbed two nights sleep and I am getting cross!!  ;)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #1911 on: January 11, 2015, 05:09 »
Good Morning, all!

It's so lovely to be the first up - peace and quiet before the family rises - a chance to have a quiet coffee, a sandwich and an uninterrupted catch up on the 'net!

After that, everybody has a piece of me all day long until it's bed time again!

I hope you all have a lovely Sunday.  :D
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

jrko

« Reply #1912 on: January 11, 2015, 05:19 »
Just getting ready to go to bed. If I wake up at 10 I should be mostly back in sync with UK time
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

tosca100

« Reply #1913 on: January 11, 2015, 06:16 »
Morning all. Another mild one today, snow forecast tonight.

Needing to sort out an area for seeds that the cat can't ruin. Might be a tall order.

cadalot

« Reply #1914 on: January 11, 2015, 07:01 »
Morning all - Just having breakfast before a full morning on the allotment .... Yippppeeeee

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1915 on: January 11, 2015, 10:41 »
Central heating isn't working by the sounds of it. :(

Going out for a friend's birthday lunch today and then working tonight ::)

rogerbodger

« Reply #1916 on: January 12, 2015, 04:55 »
Morning all! Hope everyone & everything is where they should be and not been blown away - it was a bit windy here last night (and still is) - and nowhere as near as bad as reported up north.

tosca100

« Reply #1917 on: January 12, 2015, 05:06 »
Windy here in Bulgaria too, most unusual.

Morning all. :D

Robster

« Reply #1918 on: January 12, 2015, 05:37 »
Morning all,
Cadalot thanks for your fulsome Hoop Iron reply, thanks for the effort.  What an interesting subject.

I'm working from home today.  I like that occasionally i see more of the family and can get a lot done.  I made a lot of leek and potato soup yesterday so I'll need to put that into portions and in the freezer.

Have a great day all

LotuSeed

« Reply #1919 on: January 12, 2015, 05:45 »
Goodnight all! lol. Waiting for an I've storm, should make for an interesting morning commute.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

xx
Early morning bird antics, happen to you?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 11:57
by DanielCoffey
xx
Book Club - the film

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 15:34
by mrs bouquet
xx
Morning all :)

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

222 Replies
Last post July 29, 2018, 10:01
by Growster...
xx
Went to my local Gardening Club evening...

Started by Rhys on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2018, 21:49
by Rhys

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 52 queries.