when to pot on?

• 22 Replies

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
when to pot on?
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:31 »
Hi guys, ive been trying to grow chilli for a few seasons now from plants bought from carboot sales and such, this year i thought i'd have a go from seed, they all have germinated well i think, question is when do i need to re-pot into bigger pots ?

Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

Asherweef

Re: when to pot on?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:36 »
I'm the type of lazy gardener that will leave them to fully establish before I pot them on… I'd at least wait for an extra few leaves though.

[Did you get carried away with the pot in the middle?  :wub: ]

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:38 »
they should be ok for another week at least, I usually pot on after the 2nd set of leaves have formed
who pinched me marrow?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 07:43 »
Just to contradict!

Some are looking a little leggy. Personally I'd get those pricked out ASAP and get them buried up to their seed leaves.

If you leave them another week they could be beyond hope!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49 »
I'm the type of lazy gardener that will leave them to fully establish before I pot them on… I'd at least wait for an extra few leaves though.

to be honest i didnt think they would germinate  ::) they are from a plant i had last year, they are very very hot  :wacko:

Asherweef

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:01 »

to be honest i didnt think they would germinate  ::) they are from a plant i had last year, they are very very hot  :wacko:
\

Out of interest did you use a heated propagator? I should have ignored the decorating and started my seeds off by now >_>

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13 »
Also, also - did you put any aluminium foil behind them to reflect more light?

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 13:28 »
They seem pretty big pots already. Are they 15cm pots? One plant will live in that size happily till they are ready to go into their final position (I use 10L flower buckets)

These are mine from last year, in may. I think at that point the roots were just coming out the bottom of those 8cm pots so they were potted up to pots your size.

I would re-pot the one in the middle though with like 10 plants. And as DD suggested bury the stem and pot right up to the first leaves.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 13:47 by Eightball »

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 14:27 »

i have lined the whole box with mylar, i think some are a little bit leggy due to starting under a poor light, The pots are 10 cm and yes i did use a heated propergator  :)

SK

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 15:25 »
These are mine.  Going to pot them on into 10cm pots this weekend
P3073916a.jpg

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 01:55 »

i have lined the whole box with mylar, i think some are a little bit leggy due to starting under a poor light, The pots are 10 cm and yes i did use a heated propergator  :)

SK

Fair enough, they look bigger than 10cm pots in the picture but I guess that is because it's zoomed in :) but I would re-pot the middle ones for def as they will benefit from having their own space. They will be happy in an 8/10cm pot for a fair while. The others should be ok unless they get too leggy in which case I would do as DD said.

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 05:43 »
Just to contradict!

Some are looking a little leggy. Personally I'd get those pricked out ASAP and get them buried up to their seed leaves.

If you leave them another week they could be beyond hope!

cheers DD :)

Steveharford

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 06:50 »
Just to contradict the contradiction I would like to see another set of leaves on them before transplanting. I would get as much light onto them as possible till then and then plant them deep. They should be ok.

Totty

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 07:00 »
The longer you leave them, the more you will disrupt the ever enlarging root system.  I'd do them now.

Totty

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 07:05 »
Just to contradict the contradiction I would like to see another set of leaves on them before transplanting. I would get as much light onto them as possible till then and then plant them deep. They should be ok.

Sorry, I just can't go with that. If you leave leggy plants to get another set of leaves they'll be even weaker and just fall over. As Totty says, do it now - less disturbance.

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 37 queries.