excess rain and cultivation

• 5 Replies

al78

excess rain and cultivation
« on: March 03, 2014, 23:49 »
I'm getting itchy fingers regarding the plot and that I need to dig in the green manure and hoe the weeds that are now starting to poke through. The problem is, the last time we had more than two consecutive dry days in the SE was early December  ::), and my attempt to do even the very modest task of planting out over-wintered broad bean plants and garlic resulted in getting rather muddy. I'm on clay soil and feel that if we don't get at least a week's break from the rain the plot is going to be unworkable well into spring. I was hoping after last year's extended winter that I could get an early start this year. I'm I being premature in my concern? I guess what bothers me is what happens if it rains like this for the next three months.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: excess rain and cultivation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 00:10 »
I chopped all my green manure down and have just left it on the surface. Don't think the rye grass will die from that but I think the rest should. They should rot down a bit before I eventually dig it in when the weather dries up a little. The thing with a lot of green manures is they release a chemical that inhibits germination for about a month after being cut down/dug in.

It's annoying but I wouldn't even bother digging until it's dried up, especially on clay. You will do more harm than good. I'm in the same situation. Even if you sow things later they tend to catch up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:01 by Eightball »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 00:11 »
I know how you feel, but I'd see how March goes. And at the minute it looks like the rest of the week will be dryish - but I'm on clay too and am resigned to not being able to work the plot properly till about April. At least if you have a stab at handweeding the beggars with taproots are fairly easy to haul out without breaking them. 

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:25 »
I only started digging in the green and horse manure last week, as the plot has been very wet, but turning the soil now will mean it will help it dry out a lot quicker when we do hopefully get a few dry sunny days. and I only did about 30 minutes at a time, heavy going with all that extra water in the ground.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:37 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:40 »
I'm leaving mine until it's a lot drier, you damage the soil if you walk on it when it's this wet - even the walking boards are sinking in right now when you walk on them!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50 »
Not sure when we can start properly. I planted some garlic and shallots a few weeks back under fleece the garlic has sprouted but the shallots are sulking ( hopefully not rotted!)
We need a good dose of sunshine to dry/warm the ground

Cheers HH
Keep digging

xx
Minimal Cultivation

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2015, 16:10
by Beekissed
xx
Minimal Cultivation and Slugs

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 10, 2016, 10:15
by oakridge
thumbup
Excess crop?

Started by Ali McDonald on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 18:23
by nellie.b
xx
Excess plants

Started by whitehill1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 15:17
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 38 queries.