onions

• 13 Replies

waliz

onions
« on: February 28, 2014, 17:05 »
I live in Scotland weathers still a bit cold .can I sow my onion sets in trays in march and put them out when they have grown shoots please help

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: onions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 17:14 »
You can do, yes.

Do others in your area plant set direct though? if they do, you could do this too and  save yourself the trouble and the cost of the compost.

How many sets will you be growing on?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 21:12 »
Just got my sets today and by tomorrow they'll be in trays of compost to get started. I prefer this way because not all will start to grow despite looking healthy.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 22:48 »
Sadly all my onions have died because of that dodgy compost from poundland :mad:
diggity dig dig

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 22:49 »
But i still have several hundred sets planted so its not to bad ;)

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 23:23 »
Hi waliz  :D. I've never bothered starting sets off in pots before planting out, so can't say how better that would be.  But they'll come away just fine if you leave them til around the time you're sowing your early carrots - so, for me that would hopefully be, at the earliest very late April but likely the end of the first week of May  No rush - honest  :) my seeds are currently tucked up on the window sill and will be getting planted out at the same time

(edit ... Spelling )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 23:25 by shoozie »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36 »
But i still have several hundred sets planted so its not to bad ;)

not in the dodgy compost I hope..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:09 »
 :lol:  :D no they were started in a mix what i got from reighton garden centre last year they're did really well,all growing nicely planted outside now ;)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 14:50 »
Super cheap compost/mix from places like poundland should be used only as fillers or for flowers you hate since you really do get what you pay for. For my own crops, which I depend on, I use only good quality potting mix. Saves money in the end because I don't lose seeds/sets and the plants can survive easily for some time until planting out. In my climate, starting them early is a huge bonus.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 15:55 »
Good quality stuff is hard to find here - even some of the so-called quality brands are rubbish.
IMO the dash to go peat-free hasn't helped. The manufacturers really haven't had time to find acceptable alternatives :( it seems they are experimenting while we pay for their failures  ::)

barley

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 19:12 »
hi waliz -  my onions have been growing now for 6 weeks and just got them planted in the ground this week

I plant my onion sets in loo roll tubes ( I get everybody to save me them ) in fact I plant nearly all my seeds this way  :tongue2:

I find they grow better outside rather than in the green house - they don't mind the cold at all , hard as nails

they are filled with compost ( I make my own from sifted compost heap matter and mole hiil soil )

put the loo rolls  side by side in a seed tray with sides , once the root grows through to the bottom of the tube dig a hole with a trowel and plant the whole thing tube and all into the ground , job done

so glad I did it this way this year as the ground is still to wet to dig to a tilth so made planting easy in the wet soil

added this picture today to show you how they look in all this wet soggy weather

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:47 by barley »

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 19:24 »
It never fails. Today I brought in my bag of potting mix for the onion sets, and the dratted stuff froze solid in the garage  >:( We've had a lot of -20C and lower temps lately, so not surprising really. I just didn't think about it and should have brought the mix in 2 days ago to thaw.

We're lucky here that potting mixes contain peat, which I much prefer over pricier coir.

barley

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 19:54 »
 - 20 Brrrrrrrrr    :ohmy:

Steveharford

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 20:48 »
My onion seedlings which I transplanted have just sat there for about six weeks looking very feeble. I hope they are concentrating on root growth. Strangely the ones left in the original seed tray look much healthier and upright. Chillies are doing great though   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 20:54 by Steveharford »

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 38 queries.