garden birds...

• 6 Replies

Carrie99

garden birds...
« on: February 27, 2014, 12:34 »
Hi, this might be a silly question but has anyone noticed a lack of garden birds visiting after getting chickens? Apart from one cocky blackbird I rarely see any these days and I'm wondering if there's a correlation or something else is to blame?

BabbyAnn

Re: garden birds...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45 »
I have a lot of trees in my garden/area and there are always robins and blackbirds about.  I can't say the numbers have gone down, but the blackbirds seem cheekier for some reason.  The chicken run is fully fenced off and covered so the wild birds can't get in.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50 »
Young hens do chase the small birds about for a while but they soon give that up.
They get used to each other, share dust baths and bathe in the pond while the hens are up to their knickers on the pond netting.
The only time they chase smaller birds now is to mug them for a worm or bread.
The wild birds became more confident in my garden because the hens chased the local cats off ! :)

Ps the blackbirds will start nesting about now!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:52 by 8doubles »

Beano

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:17 »
The garden birds are better fed these days. One robin must be laying really good quality eggs by the amount of layers pellets she eats! Seriously, we have had spotted flycatchers in the garden every summer since we have had chickens. It's probably due to more flies because of all the chicken poo.
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 13:16 »
I haven't seen any drop in numbers of wild birds at all - infact the local male pheasant population seem to be coming more and more into my garden except for when the dogs are out and about.
Staffies are softer than you think.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 14:14 »
theres not as many birds in my garden this year, got a lovely robin that hangs about all year and i give him a bit of feed or bread. had quite a few magpies hanging round so prob there scaring some off x

cheeps

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 21:16 »
Hi.  I have found that we have a lot more birds in the garden since having the hens at home instead of on the allotment.  The birds manage to squeeze themselves through the chicken wire and get into the chicken coop where they raid the hen feed. I used to put food out for wild birds but i don't bother anymore cause they just share the hen feed now. I did have a Sussex who used to attack the birds, especially pigeons, and it had nothing to do with food, she just took exception to other birds being on her patch.  None of my present hens are worried by wild birds, however, I do worry about them bringing germs into my hens' food but its not practical to try to stop them. Don't worry about it, the wild birds will get used to the larger hens- nature will out.

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
New birds

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 10:52
by sorrel
xx
Odd Birds.

Started by min200 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 08:46
by beulah59
xx
Help! - getting new birds to feed

Started by Pullet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 21:07
by mumsy

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 37 queries.