Soil warming cable / propagator

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Soil warming cable / propagator
« on: February 26, 2014, 16:32 »
Im considering building a large bench propagator for the greenhouse and was looking at the parasene soil warming cable with thermostat.  There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between long and short cables so I was thinking of making a 6'x18" box. Im wondering about the cable length, heat output and running costs.

Having done all the calcs I was about to buy a 12m cable when I found this link http://www.twowests.co.uk/twowestslibrary/soilwarmingcables.aspx which suggest 6m will be ok but I would be at the top of it's capacity. Given the running costs are double for the longer cable it caused pause for thought. I'm looking to germinate earlier and grow green leafy things later in the season. 

Does anyone have first hand experience or sage advice ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 16:52 by DD. »

RichardA

Re: Soil warming cable / propagator
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 23:33 »
quick thought - if longer cable gets to temperature and then switches off on thermostat it is cheaper than short cable running all the time and not quite reaching the right temperature. Not to mention low temp is of little use to germination. My greenhouse and bench prop is at home so on cold nights I cover with old duvet removing duvet and sometimes the glass to max the light getting to seedlings in day time.
R

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46 »
That was my initial reason for over-sizing the cable length, my back of fag packet calcs showed a gap of 3" between cable coils on a 12m run I wouldn't want to overheat the cable and damage it.

I would want to waste time with something which wont reach/keep a decent temperature - I've monitored one of the cheap electric internal propogators whilst it's been in the greenhouse and it's struggled to keep +3 degrees above ambient at night  :(

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 16:07 »
Well after all the pushing and shouting the bed is in and finished I've monitored things for about a week. It ended up being 7'6" x 2' all built from 6"x1" as that's what I had handy. It took 6 bags of sharp sand  :ohmy: fill it so it's getting on for 24 stone, so not a trivial project. I have the thermostat set for 25 and under the lid it hasn't dropped below 19 yet.

Im looking to improve the lids I have made, they're very rough wood squares covered in builders plastic, something to keep the heat in, let the maximum light in but also be light weight so I can lift them off without problems.  Some sort of polycarb / acrylic boxes I would think.  :unsure:

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 16:44 »
If it is of any help I use a thermostat heating and cooling controller, with an under floor heat matt.
It has worked very well over the last few years. you can use the cooling on it to turn on a fan if the temperature
goes above your set-point. you can get them on fleebay. my friend uses them on his egg incubator.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-for-Reptile-Snake-Lizard-Incubator-Aquarium-/200866250814?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2ec48fc03e
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 20:08 »
If it is of any help I use a thermostat heating and cooling controller

Looks a nice bit of kit - if I hadn't have bought the thermostatic controller with the cable I might well have ordered it.

My polycarb has been delivered and Im musing over the lids again.  :nowink: I could build something like below or I can just glue some to the 6" beds I've already built.  I know it looks nicer but is it worth the extra hassle?

xx
Parasene soil warming cable.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2012, 21:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Making a soil warming propergater

Started by Caretaker on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2013, 23:00
by dmg
xx
cable type?

Started by mickeyboy on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 20:34
by Yorkie
xx
DIY propagator?

Started by agapanthus on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 08:57
by Yabba

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 36 queries.