looking for raspberry reassurance.

• 7 Replies

3759allen

looking for raspberry reassurance.
« on: February 18, 2014, 13:39 »
i'm still confused if i've done the right thing with my raspberries, and the pruning that i done in the early winter. so looking for reassurance if i have done it right or what i should do next year if i've messed it up.

they were new canes last year, i'm hoping this may be the reason for my confusion / mistake. the canes i planted fruited and died back so i cut these out mid summer. new canes grew up, these then fruited and by autumn they also started to die off.

so as pretty much all i have read and heard once the can has fruited they won't again, so i pruned these out. however this has only left the odd spindly cane that hasn't fruited.

i've recently read that people are talking about buds on their canes emerging, or waiting for them to emerge.

so now i'm wondering where the fruit will come from this year and / or if any at all?

should i have left the last canes that grew and fruited for this year?

obviously nothing i can do about it now but would like to know for next year so i don't mess up again.

is this due to them being new canes last year and this year they will sort themselves out with canes that have not fruited this year that i can leave over winter?

thanks in advance.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: looking for raspberry reassurance.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 14:09 »
Well I think you probably have an autumn fruiting variety, because if they were summer fruiters, there would be a lot of green canes grown already (and not have fruited yet of course)

It may be that yours had not been pruned back and so these 'old' canes fruited early, followed by the ones you say then fruited later.

If 'twas me, I'd give them a feed of blood fish & bone, mulch them with compost or old leaves and wait for signs of new growth.

My Autumn ones are not stirring yet, so there is plenty of time  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 15:01 »
when i brought them the person didn't know what variety they were, but as they were really cheap i brought them anyway and see what happens.

but they started to produce the first fruit in june ish, but also produced fruit through the summer and still producing in early november.

i'm guessing they were confused what was going on as they were fresh canes, but not really sure if thus is common.

thanks for the reply.

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 18:42 »
If they fruit in June then as soon as all the fruit in finished cut the canes down. You will get new canes emerge and you may need to tie these to a frame. These new canes will overwinter and bear fruit the following year.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 19:08 »
Every cane that has fruited gets cut right back irrespective of weather hey are summer or autumn fruiting.
No raspberryy fruit every other year, so your new canes will be showing themselves in the next month and will be fruiting by late summer/ early autumn. Leave them till about mid November then, once more, cut down all fruited canes.
As mentioned, a good feed of BFB, and then a heavy mulch will do them the world of good right now.

Totty

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 23:03 »
Slightly odd question but how well did they fruit?
Are we talking a good crop or very few fruits?

I have known summer fruiting ones to give a little fruit in the first year, then crop much more fully in the second year when expected.

Also if left after the second year a cane will again fruit slightly, in what would be the third year.

After that they tend to just die, and are pretty obviously dead.

Summer fruiting raspberries produce their main crop on what we call second year growth, that however does not mean the only crop necessarily.

Also it was once pointed out to me that summer and autumn raspberries were actually the same, we apply the idea of this year and next year whereas they do not. Wish I could recall the explanation. It made sense when explained to me.

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 13:51 »
thanks for all the replies.

sounds like the process should be a bit more clearer this year when they won't be fresh canes. maybe the raspberries are as confused as me about whats going on. lol.

i wouldn't say i had a good crop from them, probably one supermarket sized punnet per cane ish. they came in short bursts, a small hand full at a time, so not really easy to judge the quantity. i didn't think i would get anything to be honest as they were a bit late going in any way. but as you've prob guessed what do i know. lol

MalcW

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 14:00 »

My Autumn ones are not stirring yet, so there is plenty of time  :D

My autumn ones are showing tiny signs of life, but then I'm a looooooong way south of you, in sub tropical Basingstoke.

xx
compost bins... reassurance and direction needed...

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 19:01
by bb_odiham
xx
raspberry

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 21:18
by peapod
xx
First raspberry

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 13:47
by sclarke624
xx
raspberry help...

Started by hunlom on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 17:14
by DD.

Page created in 0.72 seconds with 28 queries.