Spuds in sacks/planters, how many?

• 22 Replies

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
Spuds in sacks/planters, how many?
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:27 »
Hi,

I am after some advice on growing spuds in bags. Last year I planted 3 tubers per 40 litre sack and had good results but ran out of spuds between new and main crops. So this year I have double the amount of new potatoes to grow in sacks and have read about two conflicting theories on how to plant them. Both said to plant 5 per sack but one said to have all 5 on the same level and one that I should plant them in 2 layers, 3 on the bottom and then 2 on the top layer. (I'll have 6" or so of compost between layers).

Can anyone advise as to which (if any) is best? I would of thought that having them all on the same level that things might get a little crowded and run out of room to grow properly! But if in 2 layers then the bottom layer plants have a long way to go before getting any light! So you can see my dilemma!

Many Thanks.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

crh75

Re: Spuds in sacks/planters, how many?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 15:38 »
I don't really know the answer, but perhaps if you go for the two layer option you could delay planting the second layer a few weeks until the first layer has grown a bit.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 15:49 »
We went for five in black bins but We were shocked at how rubbish they did. Wont be bothering again. In the open ground they fgo from now on.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 15:58 »
I put 3 charlottes in a bag last year and had a pretty decent crop from them. The contents were 50/50 manure and compost, with a few handsful of potato fertiliser.

thumperrabbit

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 16:01 »
I use 5 potatoes on 2 layers in potato planter sacks and had a great yield last year. So I will be doing the same this year.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 20:11 »
Ok, thanks all. Mixed results then by the sounds of it! At least I know that the 2 layer method can work :) Any other opinions??

Thanks.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 20:36 »
I've planted in layers and the normal method - there wasn't any difference really, but do bear in mind I only tried the layer method with earlies.

I do grow a lot in bags and containers, and there can be some disappointments for sure, but overall the pest free crop is a bonus for me.

5 in a 40lt bag - that's earlies, seconds and mains.  I feed and water weekly (though more water was needed last summer).

Maybe you should try a few of your tatties using both methods this year and see how they compare? 

Totty

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 22:19 »
1 spud per 17 litre polypot. Each one planted in a trench therefore watering is less of a problem than with growing in pots above ground. The polypots have good sized drainage holes, and the spuds put root out In to the trench which you can fertilise/manures beforehand, but the potatoes stay inside the bags in good clean condition.

Totty

lettice

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 07:45 »
I do all my 1st/2nd earlies in potato bags (maincrops in the ground), have been for years.
I use the green plastic ones, even had some poundshop ones last year.
I plant 3 in each bag and use the earth up method and always het great crops for many years.
I also did the two layer method last year with a couple of bags and the crop in the bag was much the same.
The bags all have good drainage, use a good multipurpose compost  and I do water regularly.

One thing I have found is I normally place the bags on soil, but I had two last year on concrete and they did very badly, compared to the other loads of bags on the soil.

Steveharford

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49 »
Good point about the concrete. I've got mine sat on polyurethane boards for that reason.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:50 »

One thing I have found is I normally place the bags on soil, but I had two last year on concrete and they did very badly, compared to the other loads of bags on the soil.

Any idea why?

Steveharford

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09 »
Concrete is cold. Soil being darker will absorb more heat and be warmer to stand on. Hence target u values for floors (and walls and roofs) are being reduced all the time. Currently new builds have to have 80mm polyurethane insulation in the floor. It was none when I first started building !  This will have to be increased when new build regs come in in April.
So you can see how the spuds would be colder on bare concrete.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02 »
All very interesting, thanks people :)

I think I'll try a mixture of methods, some 1 layer, some 2 and 1 or 2 with just 2 or 3 per sack. I've got enough room to put 6 or so 2nd earlies in ground with the mains as well, so I'll have most methods covered this year for future reference. Putting the sacks or pots in/on the soil (although a very good idea) isn't an option this year as I have/will run out of space! Besides, I tend to move the sacks around the garden to regulate the temp. Sunny spot when it's colder and when it's hot (like last summer) they're moved to a shadier area to stop them baking! Last year I started them in the GH but I have such a vast amount this year, I'd need a truly massive GH  ::)

Agreed regarding concrete. It gets mighty hot in direct sunlight and very cold when not. This temperature fluctuation must impede growth an awful lot. Having worked on top of concrete slabs, I can remember the heat radiating up on summer days, and then icy in the winter, even when all the surrounding ground was ice free. My bags will mostly be on paving slabs which don't seem fluctuate as much. Might see if I can beg, borrow (but not steal!!!) some boards though, as it can only help.

Thanks again.

Totty

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 17:03 »
Spuds in bags or pots on soil can root into it. Bags or pots on concrete are totally reliant on you for watering.

Totty

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 19:29 »
I'm sure I read somewhere, maybe 3-4 years ago, that Iain of JBA fame had found that the number of potatoes you put in each bag was pretty much irrelevant and you got much the same yield however many you used. Also that they sold 'kits' with 5 potatoes per bag because that was what all the seed companies did and customers thought you were being mean otherwise.

Don't take this as gospel because it's just from memory and that's not always as reliable as it was (and it wasn't ever brilliant).  :lol:

xx
Spuds in Sacks

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 18:49
by Ice
xx
Earthing up spuds in sacks

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 20:22
by kermit
xx
Planters

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2020, 14:48
by mrsbean
xx
Raised planters

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 10:30
by Robster

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 37 queries.