Heated propagator to start veg

• 15 Replies

Totty

Re: Heated propagator to start veg
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 21:35 »
I grow one or two plants a year, and simply could not be without the two heated props, light, and heat mat.

As Al78 said, certain things benefit from early sowings. Loads of seeds can be germinated at any time of year, but if ideal conditions cannot be offered from then on, it's a waste of time.
I have one, 3 seed tray prop that has nothing but Verbena germinating at 25 degrees.
I then have a larger, 8 tray prop that is full of chillies, peppers, loofahs and aubergines that is set at nearly 30.
The heated mat is around 5ft square and is currently set at around 8-10 degrees. It has both leek and onion plants on it at the moment, with a growlight above. The greenhouse stays at a minimum of 8 degrees.
By using propagators I can achieve very good germination, over a very large range of seeds even ŵhen the weather would not otherwise allow.

If your in a position to keep things growing strongly after germinating early, then a propagator is one of the most handy things you can treat yourself to. If your not in a position to give things the light, heat and ventilation they need, a propagator will be a waste of time.

Totty

question
New to heated propagator

Started by Spookess on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2022, 21:10
by Yorkie
xx
Heated Propagator

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 18:16
by DD.
xx
Heated Propagator

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 00:16
by compostqueen
xx
Heated Bed / Propagator

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 20:37
by DavidT

Page created in 0.74 seconds with 34 queries.