Primroses

• 4 Replies

Jeni

Primroses
« on: February 04, 2014, 13:18 »
Hi, I have grown some primroses from seeds and they was lovely but now all the leaves have died and gone black and a yellow colour, could any one please tell me what the problem could be please, I have used verve multi purpose compost from b n q, thanks in advance

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Primroses
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 13:31 »
It sounds as though they are too wet and the leaves are dying. Carefully remove the black ones and any that are very yellow.

If you can keep the plants somewhere cool and under cover, without any water until the compost has dried out a bit, they may well recover.

Hope that helps :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sion01

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:22 »
I had some that were inside a few years ago that were too wet as sunshineband suggested and they also developed a mould,i think mildew.Make sure that there is plenty of air circulating around/good ventilation and if its possible water them from below by standing them in water which will stop water collecting in the crown of the plant that will encourage rot/mildew

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 16:17 »
For me, primroses grow just like columbines/aquilegias do - they leaf, flower, then die down for the season. Mind, these are planted out primroses, not potted ones which never survive for me.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 17:04 »
Primroses are usually described as herbaceous, although I think some are almost evergreen, including most of my motley collection.

The only thing that sometimes kills some of mine is summer drought, but they self-seed well enough not to worry unduly (except when they happily grow in the cracks between the paving slabs!  :nowink:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Primroses

Started by chris23005 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 13:49
by mumofstig
xx
Primroses.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 13:54
by Goosegirl
xx
Whats eaten my primroses?

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 10:53
by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage
xx
Primroses still hogging my flower beds!!

Started by joyce c on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 08:24
by joyce c

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 29 queries.