Sarpo Mira

• 23 Replies

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Sarpo Mira
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 16:48 »
I microwave all potatoes in a covered container. Cut them up so that they are about egg sized. Cook covered for about 8 mins for 4 portions and they are done. Full of flavour and colour if they are coloured types. Especially good for floury types.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 17:15 »
I part-cook them in the microwave then crisp up the skins in the oven (the oven is warming up while they're microwaving - total time 20 minutes max.)

If you eat them with a hot chilli con carne you won't be in a position to know whether they're bland or flavoursome!  ::)

(I also jab them with the point of a knife first - people who say it isn't necessary probably haven't had one blow up in the microwave!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Willow_Warren

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:26 »
I got a few large Sarpo Mira potatoes that I put aside for jacketing.  I did them 100% in the oven (because that's how I like them despite the excessive use of electricity!).  I found that they needed a lot of butter to make them a good texture, naturally after all that butter they taste great  :D

I grew them for the first time last year (because of their blight resistance) and am growing them again this year.

Hannah :)

jaydig

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 17:29 »
The blight resistance is very good, and they keep really well through the winter, in a cool place in sacks. I always grow a row of Sarpa Mira as an insurance crop in case we have a bad year for blight and other varieties fail. Having said that, it would not be my first choice of potato for taste and texture, but it's better than no potatoes at all.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 20:18 »
They are a very floury potato and as DD has hinted, the skins can be a bit tough, but their slug and blight resistant qualities are hard to ignore.  My plot is clay based and we always seem to get blight on the site by the end of the summer.  I know I will get a maincrop with Sarpo Mira, whereas other varieties are a gamble.

As jackets, I tend to put them in with things cooking at a medium oven heat, rather than aim for a really crisp result.  If you cook them on too high a heat, they are very dry inside and the skins are a test for the teeth.  They do make lovely roasties as they rough up easily for really crispy, crunchy outsides and soft fluffy centres   :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 20:49 »
I like the really tough, crispy skins on jacket SM's.

It's a good excuse for laying on the butter thickly to soften them up!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 20:59 »
Grew them for the first time last year.  They seemed to be resistant to blight, dying down last of all.  But Oh My  :ohmy: were they attractive to slugs.

Wont bother with them again.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 21:31 »
They are usually slug free - lack of water last year could have made even the SMs attractive to them  ::)

It may be worth trying them again  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 22:15 »
SM's are usually grown for two reasons, blight resistance and slug resistance. It's very difficult for slugs to get through the skin and a slug hole is usually very, very uncommon.

It was either the weather last year as MoS suggests - or you were sold something other than SM's!

xx
does anyone know anything about sarpo mira ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 18:06
by Iain@JBA
xx
sarpo mira

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 18:47
by lettice
xx
Sarpo Mira

Started by deneview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 09:34
by gobs
xx
sarpo Mira

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 22:44
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 38 queries.