Raised beds in greenhouse

• 13 Replies

timdunn

Raised beds in greenhouse
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:33 »
Hello,

I'm building a greenhouse this spring (8x16ft) on a 600mm dwarf wall. I am going to build raised beds along each side but need to make decision as to whether these will be sealed with a concrete base or open to the ground below. Does anyone have any advice? I'd be growing annual veg down two sides and possibly a vine or peach tree at the back gable end.

Thanks!

Tim

Goosegirl

Re: Raised beds in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 13:57 »
I have one in mine and it is open to the ground so any watering goes into the ground as a reservoir rather than seeping out the sides.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 17:13 »
I ve a 12 x 8ft down the sides ive made 2 beds 3ft x 12ft with a path right down middle I had great crops in there last year growing in beds straight in the ground ,I did an experiment with tomatoes did two plants in large buckets in the ghouse and the toms in the beds were far better than those in tubs

timdunn

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 17:57 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm erring on the side of beds open to the ground; my concerns are to do with build up disease in the soil, damp and having to change the soil a lot. Although bigger crops and less watering would make changing the soil worth it I think!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 18:07 »
Rotating your crops in the same way as you would in open ground will help reduce the possibility of soil borne diseases continuing.

You can also dig out and exchange soil from time to time, as well the usual feeding with manure and compost of course
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 18:36 »
Hello,

I'm building a greenhouse this spring (8x16ft) on a 600mm dwarf wall. I am going to build raised beds along each side but need to make decision as to whether these will be sealed with a concrete base or open to the ground below. Does anyone have any advice? I'd be growing annual veg down two sides and possibly a vine or peach tree at the back gable end.

Thanks!

Tim
Hi tim this is how i have done mine, raised on scaff boards on top of bricks,path down the middle raised beds to the side ive never had any problems,i allways get good crops of toms and peppers.darren. http://chat.allotment-garden.org/gallery/40538-101213180625.jpeg
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 18:40 by 3 allotments »
diggity dig dig

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 14:08 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm erring on the side of beds open to the ground; my concerns are to do with build up disease in the soil, damp and having to change the soil a lot. Although bigger crops and less watering would make changing the soil worth it I think!
Disease build up in the soil would just be limited to club root and other similar soil disease problems. If your beds are raised up enough, you have dug deep enough to ensure good drainage by adding sharp sand and/or grit into the bottom spit, then damp shouldn't be a problem, though you might get some mossy stuff on top in winter. I would only change your soil if you intensively grow only one type of plant and only then if it seems a bit "tired."

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 14:36 »
Doh! Reading this again is opening up the do I use paving slabs, weed membrane and shingle and grow in buckets or use the ground - I was on the side of growing in Buckets because of the difficulty of digging inside a 6 x 4 greenhouse

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 15:41 »
My GH has paving slabs where I stand by the shelving - i.e. not down the middle, and is far nicer to stand on. They are on top of shingle which has a weed membrane underneath (note - weed seeds brought by your cats will still grow there). On the other side is my raised bed. I think if you use the ground you will get wormies and other things to supplement your growing rather than on relying on what you have used as a growing medium in your pots. As to digging in your space, you should only have to do any major stuff once, then just top up as neccessary.

timdunn

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 22:50 »
Thanks folks. Open beds it is. I like the idea of a more natural approach and hadn't thought about the benefits of the biota beneath! Will hopefully lead to less stressed out toms too which is a bonus. Cheers Tim

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 22:57 »
Open beds do drain quite well as the deep beds surrounded with scaff boards  warm up so they never get to wet but can dry out quicker so always water well ;) in really hot weather :)

timdunn

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 19:08 »
Open beds do drain quite well as the deep beds surrounded with scaff boards  warm up so they never get to wet but can dry out quicker so always water well ;) in really hot weather :)

Am going to build a brick retaining wall to the raised beds (well it will be one bed that goes round sides) and line soil side of wall with plastic membrane - that should stop absorption and then evaporation through stone.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 14:02 »
Am going to build a brick retaining wall to the raised beds (well it will be one bed that goes round sides) and line soil side of wall with plastic membrane - that should stop absorption and then evaporation through stone.
Good thinking Batman!  ;)

timdunn

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 13:47 »
Here are a couple of pics of the finished article.
image.jpg
image.jpg

xx
raised beds

Started by wrus100 on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 18:12
by Trillium
xx
Raised beds

Started by muckyboots on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 18:38
by LotuSeed
xx
Raised beds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2010, 11:25
by dexyblue
xx
Raised Beds

Started by A19_GRAHAM on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 23:12
by hightide

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 37 queries.