Greenhouse position

• 18 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse position
« on: January 25, 2014, 22:21 »
I Am hoping for a poly carb green house for my 40th Birthday in April, if I get what I would like whats the best place for one, should they be in direct sun or partial shade, not sure if this post should be in equipment shed, I would like it for Tomatoes, peppers and my beloved Zinnia, I want to do lots of flowers this year  :)

peedee555

• Experienced Member
Re: Greenhouse position
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 23:32 »
my preference is full sun but thats only my thoughts not sure if thats right im thinking that i can always move or shade the plants  ....by the way whats sun   :unsure:

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 00:23 »
Haha I know fingers crossed for  lovely summer :)

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 00:39 »
Hi many people have theirs positioned door facing  south so sun covers over greenhouse both sides of beds :).Darren
diggity dig dig

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:26 »
I agree full sun, but be prepared to put shade up - if we do get a scorcher  ::)

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 14:44 »
Full sun is best. You can always shade a too bright location, but you cant brighten up a too dark one without very expensive grow-lights.

One factor is size. Tiny greenhouses heat up very quickly in full sun, almost in minutes, unless they have good ventilation.   Bigger greenhouse are more tolerant.   

(says Gremlin. Owner of an almost useless 6 x 8 greenhouse in the shade :tongue2:)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 15:03 »
Probably worth considering the lie of the land where you are as well as the orientation - despite my garden facing almost due south I live half way up a hill (Sheffield consists of little else!) and the surrounding properties, hedges and trees mean that the sun barely tracks above them from November to February. Not ideal, but I can't do anything about it because it affects the whole garden.

Possibly not quite such an issue with a PT compared to a GH, but I wouldn't have the door facing the prevailing winds if at all possible.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 20:02 »
Sounds like good advice and a good excuse to get a greenhouse as big as my family can afford, I told my husband to tell my fambo to give him money towards the greenhouse fund, he thinks I am mad to want a green house for my 40th,  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24 »
I agree with full sun if possible, and to have your door on the opposite side to the prevaling winds and, if you can get one, the louvre on the opposite side to get maximum aeration. It gets exceptionally windy here so I have found that leaving my louvres open a bit and the door as well, the wind doesn't meet a solid object but filters through, though I don't use my gh over winter. As to orientation, because of the above, my door faces due east but my bed is on the right of the door so gets the sun all day, and I use net curtaining on the other side where my staging is so I can shade new seedlings with a bit of help from a nearby hedge. Best other advice is to get the very biggest you can afford (mine is 12x10) because you will soon fill it and it won't heat up quite as much; also, don't settle for a cheap make.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

cadalot

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 16:50 »
I'm going to make do with my brother in laws 6 x 4 bit at least its better than the blow away I could not really get into last year. Grow-houses for dwarfs

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 00:31 »
Thank you, I imagine you could easily fill a greenhouse, the advice has been great, not considering all things I would have been tempted to put in partial shade, so thanks for that  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 10:20 »
Hi casper, thanks for posting this, I've just got a greenhouse too and this is really helpful.  :)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 19:47 »
Hey Surbie 100, you are welcome, I have learnt that there is no question too small on this forum, if we all had the answers we would not be on the site, Oooo I am a bit jealous though, what do you plan to grow in yours, I am leaving all the hints now so hopefully get one soon   :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 20:12 »
It can't go up till the water subsides on the plot a bit, but I am planning chillies tomatoes melons sweet potatoes and aubergines in my head.... :D

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 22:08 »
my mini greenhouse has just found its own position it blew to the other side of the garden  :blush:

xx
greenhouse position

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 20:05
by plum crumble
xx
Best position

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 20:03
by richyrich7
xx
Best position for potatoes

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 18:41
by Goldfinger
smiley
spuds (same position?)

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 12:43
by Lupin lurcher

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 39 queries.