Leeks sown too early?

• 9 Replies

Steveharford

Leeks sown too early?
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:41 »
Just getting ready to prick out Musselburgh into bigger pot or modules and read what Titchmarsh has to say. He writes that early sowings of leeks have more tendency to bolt later on. Have I sown too early? I know some on here have made early sowings so what has been your experience?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Leeks sown too early?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:45 »
Sowed early once.

They bolted.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27 »
I made the mistake of sowing mine last January and they didn't do too well at all - i was warned at the time from DD.  :lol:

The ones I sowed in the spring fared much better so it may be best to sow a second batch in March or so, just in case.

A lot of people on here actually use DD's cat litter tray method of sowing them. I can't find a link to it now but I'm sure Dave can provide one if you are interested in using his method.

Cheers,
Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:53 »
If you've sowed all your leeks as of now? Then possibly you are too early. But, there again, if you enjoy leeks on your plate at any time of year? Then, enough sown now (of the right variety) for a row across the garden/lottie for harvest during Aug/Sep then why not? 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:21 »
I grow a specific variety for autumn harvesting - Jaune de Poitou from Real Seeds. 

An early March sowing gives a decent crop, without the problem of keeping them going early on in the year and risk of bolting.  Checking my diary for last year and first pick was 7th September  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:30 »
A lot of people on here actually use DD's cat litter tray method of sowing them. I can't find a link to it now but I'm sure Dave can provide one if you are interested in using his method.

It's in the 'Growing FAQs' board:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:41 »
Hmm.  Ok as the show growers start them really early I guess from the above responses I will be ok if I harvest them early but the longer they stay in the ground the more likely they are to bolt? So I will bring some of them on and  I will take your advice and sow another batch in March. Thankyou

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:54 »
Its going to depend on the weather, but yes, the longer they stay in the ground, the bigger the risk. 

Leeks overwinter, then flower and set seed the next year if left to their own devices.  If they go in very early and the weather has a few ups and downs, they may well think they are in year 2 of their lifecycle and then off they will go  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 15:10 »
Late Jan / early Feb sowing worked for my father for many years... he didn't pot-on once they'd germinated but planted out into final position around June.... depending upon the weather (avoiding too much heat if possible)

Keeping them well watered through the growing season kept them growing steadily and the crop lasted through to beginning of March with first liftings happening anytime they were needed and big enough.

I dib mine into holes made in the bottom of shallow (15cm) trenches. I find these are easy to flood with water from one end. Hoeing through the season fills the trench but results in deeper planted leeks that are less likely to dry out and more likely to give a longer white shaft and thicker stems. A lovely and very worthwhile crop.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 15:25 »
no experience myself but sounds to me like you may just have to lift them as baby leeks rather than fully grown. still taste lovely, but obviously not as higher yield.

xx
Leeks sown yet?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 26, 2020, 11:25
by Nobbie
xx
Leeks sown yet?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 19, 2021, 15:33
by bobbyt
xx
Last years small late sown leeks

Started by RichG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 22:14
by gavinjconway
xx
I think my beans were sown too early

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 14:55
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 37 queries.