what compost to use for fruit tree's in pots?

• 3 Replies

3759allen

what compost to use for fruit tree's in pots?
« on: January 24, 2014, 18:24 »
looking for a bit of advice.

i've now received my fruit tree's that i ordered. the only trouble is i was a bit eager to order and won't have the ground cleared and prepared until early summer. so i'm planning to plant them in large pots until autumn or winter then plant into there final position when the grounds ready. i'm assuming this is ok to do?

what i would like to know is what compost should i use?

can i add some soil to multi purpose compost?

i've also got some well rotted manure and leaf mulch that can be added, would either be a good idea to add?

any advice would be greatly received.

thanks 

Trillium

Re: what compost to use for fruit tree's in pots?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 19:44 »
I always found that a 3 way mix works great - equal parts good soil, compost and rotted manure. Avoid any mulches with cedar as they exude natural herbicides that could eventually kill your young trees.

If the trees have to stay in pots an extra year, top the soil with more rotted manure. And always keep the pots moderately watered and good drainage available.

ididntdoit

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 22:54 »
There are two basic elements to the "mix" you provide in a pot for fruit trees or any other plant. The growing medium itself and the nutrients that the plant can extract from that growing mix.

The texture of the growing medium for fruit trees should be moisture retentive but at the same time allow drainage. Multi-purpose compost is ideal. If the trees are to permanenetly in the pot then the weight of the growing medium may well be imortant - hence the often recommended John Innes soil. It's heavier than mulrti-purpose but drains and retains moisture as well.

The nutrients can be added whatever the growing meiumand blood fish and bobe an bone is ideal for fruit trees. It provides the key nutrients and does it slowly which again is ideal for fruit trees which do not do well if fed too well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 22:59 »
Multi-purpose compost has nutrients only for about 6 weeks of active growth.  It also does not re-wet easily.

As they are going to be in pots for the best part of a year I would therefore avoid MP. 

John Innes Number 2 would suffice for that length of time.  If it was permanent planting, then Number 3.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Fruit trees in pots

Started by Coop-a-Cabana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 11:59
by sunshineband
xx
Fruit trees in pots

Started by Poolman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 21:49
by sunshineband
xx
Fruit trees in pots?

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 04:05
by muntjac
xx
Growing Fruit and Veg in pots.

Started by fatfei on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 12:00
by SG6

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 36 queries.