flat bed systems

• 2 Replies

snow white

flat bed systems
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:13 »
To explain - I have devided the veg part of my plot into four beds each measuring 5.2 x 6.6 metres.  I plan rotation of these beds.  Eg this year bed one is brassics, bed two is beans and salads, bed three is chickens and bed four is for potatoes.  I have further devided beds one and two into 1m wide beds with membrane.  This works well with me.  I grew potatoes under straw last year with great success without any bed devision.  I want to try half under straw and half under soil this year.  Could I do this with a 1m bed devision? If so, how close could I plant them together and how would I draw soil up the pototoes if close together?  Or should I just leave it undivided and do traditional spacing?

Congrats if you understand my ramblings.  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: flat bed systems
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:24 »
 I take the membrane up off the paths on my potato bit - I seem to get more spuds in that way ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: flat bed systems
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:01 »
To reduce the width required to provide the soil for earthing up I find it does help if you dig out a narrow trench to plant the spuds in - the first earthing up using the excavated soil gives back most of the space it took up so you can grow other crops there, but still leaves plenty of soil near the spuds for further earthing up.

It takes some fairly precision work with the draw hoe or rake though!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

thumbdown
Flat Worms

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 15:33
by ember
xx
Lie Flat Cloches

Started by kiwinicks on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2023, 13:12
by Subversive_plot
xx
Flat peppers

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 10:47
by SUTTY1
xx
Flat Onions

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post December 10, 2009, 15:22
by Trillium

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 38 queries.