Potato seed prices and sizes 2014

• 78 Replies

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato seed prices and sizes 2014
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2014, 19:35 »
I have now purchased my last potatoes.

I say this every year - probably about once a week for the next few weeks after each little 'top up'  :lol:

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2014, 20:33 »
In 'Grow your own Garden' by Carol Klein she refers to a practice in the United States of cutting the tubers.

The text , from page 149 , is

"On this side of the Atlantic we plant out whole seed potatoes for our new crop, but in the United States the practice is to cut them up and plant the pieces. As long as each one has a short sprout (two eyes are usually recommended) and a chunk of tuber about 4-5cm each way ,this should work perfectly. It is sometimes recommended that the sections are allowed to dry for several days before planting as a precaution against infection, but they can be planted immediately if everything is clean" 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

BabbyAnn

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2014, 20:54 »
In 'Grow your own Garden' by Carol Klein she refers to a practice in the United States of cutting the tubers.

The text , from page 149 , is

"On this side of the Atlantic we plant out whole seed potatoes for our new crop, but in the United States the practice is to cut them up and plant the pieces. As long as each one has a short sprout (two eyes are usually recommended) and a chunk of tuber about 4-5cm each way ,this should work perfectly. It is sometimes recommended that the sections are allowed to dry for several days before planting as a precaution against infection, but they can be planted immediately if everything is clean"

This practice was done during the war when there was a shortage of seed potatoes so is not new  ;)  Even my kitchen waste peelings have produced a crop in the compost bin before now LOL.   Another practice is to plant each piece into pots and allow a good root system to develop in say a greenhouse or polytunnel before planting out when the soil temperature is warmer and they then grow with a lot more vigour  - this might work for just a few potatoes, but a lot of extra work when planting out whole beds

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2014, 21:09 »
Local garden shop has them loose from £1.28 kg to £1.48 Kg 10 different to choose from Its great as  I got just 6 egg sized int kidney and 6 charlotte for the poly tunnel.
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
Rocket and Swift Early Seed Potato Prices per Kilo.

Started by fuzzy1983 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 00:43
by shokkyy
xx
seed sizes

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2014, 18:58
by mrsbean
xx
seed prices

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 16:00
by Snowboar
xx
Seed Prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 14:01
by DD.

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 28 queries.