Potato seed prices and sizes 2014

• 78 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato seed prices and sizes 2014
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 18:57 »
Our lotty shop has 7 different types for £1.25 a kilo. Some are quite big but generally they look very good.

£1 / kg at our local allotment shop.

The only snag, they just tip them out on to some scales and that's it, you can't pick the size you want.

At that price, I shouldn't really mention it, let alone moan about it.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 19:39 »
I really dont see the problem with size that everyone is talking about or questioning. A seed spud grower / supplier grows them, harvests them and sells them - you cant change the size. Some years they will be bigger or smaller than others due to growing conditions for the year. To me one should just get them and plant them..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

PudsTree

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 20:30 »
I must be missing something here. Potatoes are very frost tender, yes? The slightest frost will damage their foliage significantly and set back plant growth.

So, say for example the average last frost date in the UK is about the last week of April. And lets's assume that from planting non-chitted sets to the foliage appearing above ground takes four weeks at the most. That means the earliest sensible date to plant seed potatoes (in the average UK area) is the last week of March, any earlier and the risk of frost damage increases.

Here we are towards the end of January discussing the seed potatoes which people have already bought.

My question is why buy them so early or is my calculation about the planting date incorrect?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 20:35 »
You buy them early to avoid disappointment missing out on the varieties you want.

Also ones most bought late will have been sitting in a warm shop and have long spindly shoots. You will be hard pressed to find decent seed spuds in March to plant straight in the ground.

Get them early - get the sort you want and give them the correct treatment.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 21:01 »
I've already bought mine from a market garden type of place.   Chatting to the owner, he said he was amazed that people come to buy earlier and earlier every year so he responds to customer demand by putting them on sale earlier and earlier every year.   First week of January this year.

Are we becoming our own enemy?

Mine were frosted in the g/h day after I bought them and I will need to re-buy.  Duh. ???
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

gavinjconway

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 21:38 »

Mine were frosted in the g/h day after I bought them and I will need to re-buy.  Duh. ???

Note - do not store them in the GH...

4 Seasons

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 21:42 »
I must be missing something here. Potatoes are very frost tender, yes? The slightest frost will damage their foliage significantly and set back plant growth.

So, say for example the average last frost date in the UK is about the last week of April. And lets's assume that from planting non-chitted sets to the foliage appearing above ground takes four weeks at the most. That means the earliest sensible date to plant seed potatoes (in the average UK area) is the last week of March, any earlier and the risk of frost damage increases.

Here we are towards the end of January discussing the seed potatoes which people have already bought.

My question is why buy them so early or is my calculation about the planting date incorrect?

Your calculation is about right give or take a week or two depending on where you live but some people, including myself, plant earlier than that and then protect the emerging growth from frost. I do it because I believe it gives me a head start over the worst period of potato blight later in the year. When blight is prevalent my spuds are either ready to be harvested or are already in sacks in the shed.
The second benefit of growing them early I have found is that they are out of the ground before the rain sets in thus avoiding major slug damage.
In an abnormal year like 2012 there is little you can do to avoid blight and slugs no matter how early you plant but that's gardening for you.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 09:16 »

I store mine in the greenhouse - but I've got heating!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 10:01 »
Chatting to the owner, he said he was amazed that people come to buy earlier and earlier every year so he responds to customer demand by putting them on sale earlier and earlier every year.   First week of January this year.

Are we becoming our own enemy?

I've always seen seed potatoes out for sale in the first weeks of January so I don't think demand has anything to do with it.

In an abnormal year like 2012

we have "normal" years?  ???  LOL

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 12:15 »
I've just come back from the allotment shop and they have 9 different varieties (3 x earlies, 2nd earlies and main crop) all at only 40p a pound.  :D
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

gavinjconway

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 12:26 »
That is cheep RJ... hope you bought more than half a pound!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:27 by gavinjconway »

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 12:40 »
That is cheep RJ... hope you bought more than half a pound!!
  :D  :lol:

I only bought 9 pound as they don't have all the varieties I'm after.

Jim

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2014, 14:28 »

Very true,  but I have the following choices:-
1. Unheated Greenhouse, cool and bright
2. Garage - cool and dark
3 & 4 In the house  20 deg C  Bright or dark depending whether I put a cover over them.  I could put them in the porch which is a bit cooler, 15 deg C, but would have to literally step over them for 3 months.  I have 8 varies in 8 different egg box trays so moving them between locations would be a hassle.

I rely on watching in the weather forecast and running down the garden to cover them with a quilt. Last Monday I forgot  :(

cadalot

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 14:55 »
I'm playing the shed and kitchen game and so far getting away with  :unsure: (from the wife) leaving them in the kitchen because of the sub zero temperatures forecast on the weather channel  :lol:

ididntdoit

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 21:00 »
....... ones most bought late will have been sitting in a warm shop and have long spindly shoots. You will be hard pressed to find decent seed spuds in March to plant straight in the ground

Agree with that but the solution is not to buy them from shops, buy them from the producers who sell to the shops. JBA seed poatatoes for example. All of the producers will have tip top storage facilitiies and the experience to utilse them to their best ability.

but some people, including myself, plant earlier than that and then protect the emerging growth from frost. I do it because I believe it gives me a head start

That's quite reasonable and understandable. But I would assume that the majority of us want to plant and let them grow without protection. Buy early if for early planting, buy later for normal unprotected planting time.

I've always seen seed potatoes out for sale in the first weeks of January so I don't think demand has anything to do with it.

Demand always has everything to do with it, if there's no demand then the seed potatoes won't sell. Consumer demand is why we have supermarkets selling only perfect looking veg with no taste to them. The consumer demands it, the profit is there and the seller responds to that.

And comiserations to those who buy early and then have their seed potatoes ruined by bad storage. The shops depend on you because you then need to buy more later on. It's the same with bedding plants, the garden centres love to sell them at easter becasue half of them will perish with the next frost.

Apologies if this post is a bit of a rant becasue it is! Selling tender plants and seeds too early in the season is a pet irritant of mine. Apologies!

xx
Rocket and Swift Early Seed Potato Prices per Kilo.

Started by fuzzy1983 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 00:43
by shokkyy
xx
seed sizes

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2014, 18:58
by mrsbean
xx
seed prices

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 16:00
by Snowboar
xx
Seed Prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 14:01
by DD.

Page created in 0.861 seconds with 37 queries.