• Experienced Member
Centiflor Tomatoes
« on: January 20, 2014, 14:47 »
very unusual plant. anyone grown these?

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/centitomatoes.html 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 16:16 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Centiflor Tomatos
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 14:49 »
No,  but it's making my fingers itch!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 15:45 »
they look amazing. i already have enough toms but i might have to invest in  these  :)

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 22:23 »
I grew them a couple of years ago.

They were highly prolific, reasonably tasty, and very pretty. But I found that they took forever to pick because there were so many of them. They make a nice addition to salads or for kids because they're so tiny. But for flavour and effort I think you can do better.

You probably want only one or two plants. I had loads more (eyes bigger than tummy as my mum would have said) and what I remember most about them is standing in the greenhouse going through apparently endless trusses looking for the ripe ones. In the normal course of events that might be a blessing but loads and loads of these don't actually amount to a lot of tomatoness.

I'm not sorry I tried them but I haven't grown them again.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:26 »
thanks for the feedback, i ordered a pack yesterday. it seems than that they the type of thing that looks better than it actually is?  ::)

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 18:52 »
Exactly - but they do look pretty spectacular and if you have visiting kids, they love them.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 22:06 »
They look just like some I grew a few years back called ildi. As mentioned, perfect for salads when used whole. Gon on cropping for ages too.

Totty

easyonthebrain

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16 »
Yep, never fails see it buy it, so will give these a bash as well lol ::)

Beetie

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 23:34 »
I grew these last year.  I grew them outside and I got loads.  I found that they weren't very sweet tasting. I used most of them to make yellow ketchup which is very nice and we are still enjoying! 

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 14:17 »
I grew these last year.  I grew them outside and I got loads.  I found that they weren't very sweet tasting. I used most of them to make yellow ketchup which is very nice and we are still enjoying!

are they going to be worth the effort do you think? i have 20 seeds but my OH is quite fussy with toms. will i be better growing another variety?

Totty

Re: Centiflor Tomatoes
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:10 »

are they going to be worth the effort do you think? i have 20 seeds but my OH is quite fussy with toms. will i be better growing another variety?

How many plants do you have room for? It's always worth growing at least one or two new varieties a year. Even if you had one plant you could pick a dozen or more at a time when they get going. In what way is he fussy with toms?

Totty

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 14:25 »
I grew something very similar last year. The plants were given to me by someone who has been growing them from saved seed for donkeys years and has no idea what they're called. So I can't comment on the taste of this particular variety.

In general, you have to be careful, as the weight of all the toms means the trusses split away from the main stem. I had to tie in the trusses in a few places.

In our case, the plants looked pretty spectacular. Great if you're going for a bit of one-upmanship/upwomanship on the site. Just a couple of plants make a point...

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 17:15 »

How many plants do you have room for? It's always worth growing at least one or two new varieties a year. Even if you had one plant you could pick a dozen or more at a time when they get going. In what way is he fussy with toms?

Totty

she is fussy about taste. has to be more towards sweet than sharp. i grew shirley last year and she was not impressed as year before i grew a cherry type that i cant remember the name of and there were mutterings about the lack of sweetness last year  :unsure:

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 22:41 »
Sungold - the best ....
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 00:11 »
Trying Sungold for the first time this year  :)

xx
centiflor tomatoes

Started by eli on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 10:25
by eli
xx
Anyone growing Centiflor tomatoes?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 19:24
by Salkeela
xx
Tomatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 19:46
by DD.
xx
Can my tomatoes go out yet?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 14:51
by andyw

Page created in 1.167 seconds with 38 queries.