Weeds in orchards

• 9 Replies

devongardener

Weeds in orchards
« on: January 18, 2014, 20:01 »
We have a one acre plot that we are turning into an orchard.  Does anyone have any good ideas how we can keep weeds and grass from growing around the bases of the trees. Mulch/old carpet/polythene etc. isn't really an option as there are 160 trees planned. A weed killer would be ideal but which one and how to apply it is the burning question.  Many thanks

4 Seasons

Re: Weeds in orchards
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 20:19 »
Well you have ruled out the three obvious solutions so I guess the only other is glyphosate sprayed when required but it is not liked on this forum so I'd better not recommend it. I wouldn't use a weed killer that poisons the soil as that will not do your trees any good so it would have to be one that works through the foliage only.

There isn't anything wrong with grass by the way as long as you keep it well cut which you can with the right machinery and sympathetic pruning to make life easy.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 20:22 »
Don't even mention old carpet - you have no idea about the chemical used to tie that together... and removing it in a few years time... "the horror" (been there done that not intending EVER to do that again)

Cheers,
Balders

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 20:29 »
IF you can find a weedkiller which you can spray round the base of trees without it reaching them either through the roots or absorbing through the stem, it is going to take you just as long to go round your 160 trees carefully applying it as it would to put a mulch on.  You could try slices of well wetted small straw bales (preferably from an unsprayed crop) applied when the trees are first planted.

Grass is all very well but fruit trees actually have quite shallow roots themselves and the shallow roots of closely mown grass will compete for nutrients, so a meadow sward with some deeper rooting and/or nitrogen fixing plants would be best.  These will also attract beneficial insects.  You could then rake the hay after mowing around the trees to create a mulch again.  This will necessitate planting at sufficient distances to be able to mow though.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:31 »
Make sure you have a circle of bare earth around the trees to start with, otherwise it's neigh on impossible to cut grass around them as you don't want to be strimming around them. Get a guard for the end of a sprayer which gives you much more control when using weed killer. Go round all trees with it in spring. From then on just throw grass clippings and anything else you have around the base. If you want the bases of the trees clear, that really is your only option. If it's too time consuming, consider removing some. Your better off having half the amount if trees that are looked after properly.

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:23 »
Well you have ruled out the three obvious solutions so I guess the only other is glyphosate sprayed when required but it is not liked on this forum so I'd better not recommend it.

Although it's probably true to say that most fruit and veg growers prefer to avoid using any chemicals on their plots, there are many who have used glyphosate when circumstances suggested it was the best option.

When it comes to "forum policy" it's the use of home-made pesticides and herbicides that we can't be seen to be endorsing or encouraging because it's technically illegal under EU law.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43 »
It's right to keep the base of any trees free of weeds including grass, so why not insert a barrier around the trunk area, such as wooden planking, log roll stuff, even a thick plastic membrane deeply inserted around the area and hidden by some decorative paving slabs.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 15:46 »
I had problems with weeds in my orchard so I added a thick mulch of chicken poo all around then topped that off with a thick mulch of wood chips spread out beyond the drip line. Each year I top up the bark mulch and it's been great so far. I can use the riding mower all around the trees without damaging any branches trying to get close, and the trees are loving the extra nutrition and steady moisture.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 16:30 »
Commercial orchards seem to use a weed killer early on in the year but just cut it later so that any apples for cider lay on the grass and not bare earth which speeds up the rotting . so perhaps just a small amount of weed killer or just mow as close as posible and leave the grass as it will struggle in the shade.
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 18:51 »
I am not sure from your description what you want to have between the trees i.e. grass or are you going to mulch the area. Obviously I agree that ideally you want to avoid grass or weeds round the base of trees. One of the traditional ways of keeping grass and weeds down in an orchard is geese. It's what I use in my small orchard and they are great. The only thing to be aware of with them is that you do need to protect the trees when they are young or geese will bark them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
Weeds

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 06, 2012, 23:11
by angelavdavis
xx
WEEDS WEEDS AND MORE WEEDS

Started by Breadsnapper on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 22:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 38 queries.