S.B.A

• 88 Replies

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
Re: S.B.A
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 10:49 »
I got 15 new different varieties of tomatoes this year. That doesn't include a few favourite varieties of last year that I am going using again.

My preliminary cautious seedling planting plan gives me already 54 plants. I will probably end up with more. I had a bit over 50 plants last year as well.

I am slightly obessed with tomatoes.

I have more control when it concerns purchasing seeds from other vegetables.

AnneB

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2014, 11:00 »
I don't know what made me do it, but I have just had a peek at the Real Seeds website again.  They have new things on there, including something called a Gilfeathers' Turnip-Swede.   It is a natural cross between a turnip and a swede dating from the late 1800's.   Apparently it tastes like neither!   I did wonder if it should be called a twede or a surnip though.   However I am going to order it.  But I will need other stuff for the minimum order!

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2014, 11:21 »
I have a similar problem with books, so I've had be to strict with myself. No more books and no more seeds until the beds are dug and this year's crop is in the ground!

It doesn't help that we've barely had a dry weekend since autumn. And of course, when they do come along there's a family commitment  :angry:
Never stop learning

Growster...

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2014, 11:47 »
Just went back for some eggs at the garden centre, and some Arran Pilot just sort of jumped into my hand...

...and stayed there...

;0)

(We're sowing some more inside in pots, as at this rate, we may be late getting them in, or that's my excuse anyway)!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2014, 13:20 »
Well, I just had to order a big delivery of MPC so that I can plant some of my early spuds in tubs, cos I have too many for the plot - even with 2 extra beds this year  :wacko:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2014, 13:59 »
Some Charlottes have come home with me from £1land, making up the numbers on the seed spud order as the ones from marshalls were monsters.

I have some spud/compost bags at home - they can start off in March at home and then the bags can be moved to the plot when the weather's a bit more Spring-like.  :)

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2014, 14:49 »
oh noooo please stop!!
I now want to get more potatoes to chit and I want to get some butter nut squash seeds but not sure what ones to get any suggestions???

Have put our name down for another plot ........ just in case  :nowink: :nowink:

Edited to say ......... Surbie100 I have just read your post on my diary ..... you are soooooo naughty but thank you for the link  :nowink: ..... off to look at all the squashes now  :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 14:52 by Ma Lowe »

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 00:25 »
oh no ma went to look what my butternuts were called ( there called butternut  :blush:) but noticed some turks turban squash aint got any of them but they look sooooooooooo goood ....must resist must resist .....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 08:51 »
noticed some turks turban squash aint got any of them but they look sooooooooooo goood ....must resist must resist .....

Look good for decoration, but they're pretty tasteless to eat - if that makes resisting any easier  :nowink:

cadalot

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 09:04 »
Not feeding any addiction but Lidl from Thursday 20th to Wednesday 26th February

Apple, Pear, Plum, Peach& Cherry Trees 70cm high £3.99 but how would one know what ultimate size they are going to grow too? I would like to grow and train them to grow straight on plan and I'm guessing you need a particular type of tree to do that

Snoop

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 09:27 »
Look good for decoration, but they're pretty tasteless to eat - if that makes resisting any easier  :nowink:

If you don't have much space for squash, you could try Barbara. Not cheap (from T&M and their most expensive squash seeds by far as there aren't that many seeds in a packet - they state five but I had seven), but hugely productive. Last year I grew 4 of these. They produced 60 squash between them in the three flushes I harvested. None of them were small and the second flush were huge by butternut squash standards. I left the fourth flush in the fields for the birds, chickens and dogs. I still have a lot in storage - none have rotted so far. A couple of these plants might see you right! That way, you could also spread the cost of the seeds over a couple of years.

LilacSandy

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31 »
Not feeding any addiction but Lidl from Thursday 20th to Wednesday 26th February

Apple, Pear, Plum, Peach& Cherry Trees 70cm high £3.99 but how would one know what ultimate size they are going to grow too? I would like to grow and train them to grow straight on plan and I'm guessing you need a particular type of tree to do that

Thanks Cadalot, just got my third plot so need some trees, will grab some and then will train them as stepovers so it does not matter what root stock they are from, all except the Cherry as I do not think you can train them this way, or can you??

Lardman

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 11:39 »
Thanks Cadalot, just got my third plot so need some trees, will grab some and then will train them as stepovers so it does not matter what root stock they are from, all except the Cherry as I do not think you can train them this way, or can you??

From recent research - the smallest you can do with a cherry is a fan.

Have heart everyone your condition is manageable... I've not bought any seeds this year - yet.   :D 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05 »

If you don't have much space for squash, you could try Barbara. Not cheap (from T&M and their most expensive squash seeds by far as there aren't that many seeds in a packet - they state five but I had seven), but hugely productive. Last year I grew 4 of these. They produced 60 squash between them in the three flushes I harvested. None of them were small and the second flush were huge by butternut squash standards. I left the fourth flush in the fields for the birds, chickens and dogs. I still have a lot in storage - none have rotted so far. A couple of these plants might see you right! That way, you could also spread the cost of the seeds over a couple of years.

Your climate would have a big impact on cropping, Snoop. We're unlikely to do as well in our cool, short summers :(

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05 »

Snoop you are not helping.  I only logged on to this thread to show OH that others are much worse than I am and now I've had to have a look at these.

Just found they are still available http://www.tuckers-countrystores.com/pk-barbara-f1-butternut-squash/?filter_name=barbara at &2.60 for 8 seeds plus £1.25 p&p. Of course if you spend more than £30 then p&p is free but at least I managed to avoid that.

::) :lol:

(Luckily I live in one of the warmest parts of the UK and usually do well with squash, I just don't have the space for as many plants as I'd like)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:08 by tangojulie »

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 39 queries.