Whoops (poundland potatos)

• 4 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Whoops (poundland potatos)
« on: January 14, 2014, 14:53 »
Made a bit of a novice mistake today. Was browsing around and on impulse threw a £1 bag of swift potatoes in my basket, only recalling when outside that it's January and our last frost date isn't until May...

Those big filled displays of potatoes this time of year can mislead the mind at times :nowink: So now I've got a bag of rooty looking potatoes but still plenty of cold on the way.

The thing is I haven't grown potatoes seriously before, this year was going to be the first proper go with containers. So I don't know if they're going to keep until May or if I'm better off calling it a loss and binning them. Looking around online people recommend chitting them over this period, but they look quite rooty already to me  :unsure: I think I recall reading white roots are not good.

What's everyone's thoughts? Keep (suggested method of storing?) or throw?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Whoops (poundland potatos)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 14:56 »
Rub white chits off and put them somewhere light and cool /cold (but mustn't get frosted)

They'll slowly tick over til you can plant them   ;)

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 15:08 »
Rub white chits off and put them somewhere light and cool /cold (but mustn't get frosted)

They'll slowly tick over til you can plant them   ;)

Ah I was under the impression that the white roots meant they wouldn't keep as long? Well I'll certainly give it a go. If they go bad they were cheap enough :tongue2:

snow white

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 20:55 »
they are leggy chits, not roots.  As Mumofstig sayes, rub them off and put in a cool light place.  Most potatoes go in end March/April.  Well down in Suffolk they do anyway.  Not sure when our last frosts dates are, usually May if I recall.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 21:19 »
As everyone says, off with the chits, into the cool and no harm done.

Swifts are first first earlies so end march it the soil and keep them heaped up as long as you can as they come through.  If they are up, and you cant earth them up any more,  and a frost threatens - then cover with whatever you have!  Fleece, dust sheets, just to give them a bit more protection.  If the tops get a bit blackened they will recover. 

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
whoops!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 15:41
by Trillium
xx
Whoops Asparagus!

Started by Bodmass on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 21:21
by Bodmass
xx
Whoops I dropped the packet!

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 02:03
by iwantanallotment
xx
whoops - apple growing problem

Started by millymolymandy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 03:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 38 queries.