Soft fruit in containers

• 9 Replies

Agatha

Soft fruit in containers
« on: January 14, 2014, 11:24 »
This week I have had to make the very sad decision to give up my veg patch.  Apart from the veg, it has blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries, raspberries, tayberries and rhubarb.  Depending on which books you read, it is either possible or impossible to grow any or all of these in containers! 

Does anyone have any practical experience of growing any of these in containers?  I have a large patio area round the house, several large pots (a couple of feet deep or larger) plus a few old dustbins etc which could be turned into deep planters, but I don't want to waste a lot of time and effort on anything that will only produce one or two berries!  So if anyone has tried any of these in pots in the past, I would be grateful for your opinion. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Soft fruit in containers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:39 »
I have blackcurrants, gooseberries and rhubarb in large pots. The do ok, but would probably be better producers if they were in the ground.

Agatha

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:43 »
Thanks.  I will try that - they are the ones I am most concerned about as they are my favourites.  I know I won't get the same sort of crop as I would in the ground, but it's pots or nothing now, so I don't have much choice!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45 »
Mine are in 42L trugs - by the sounds of it, your planters are larger, so you should get better results than me.  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 17:58 »
How big are the present bushes?

How old are they?

I wouldn't try to grow raspberries in pots but the others might do OK.  You'll need to keep on top of watering and feeding far, far more.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

crh75

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 16:17 »
Would it be feasible to take up a few sections of the patio so you could plant directly into the ground?

Agatha

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:13 »
The gooseberries are quite small so I think they should transplant ok.  The currant bushes are larger, but I have a couple of layered branches, so think I may grow these on in containers instead of moving the larger bushes.  I've found another home for the raspberries and tayberries - one book did say it was possible to grow them in pots, but I am very sceptical!  Fortunately, there is no immediate rush as the landowner is not planning on clearing the area for a couple of months.

I am not allowed by my landlord to make any changes to the garden, so growing in the ground is not feasible.  It's a shame because I have an enormous lawn & I hate mowing, so would love to reduce the size of it & have fruit instead, but it's not an option.  :(

Moved my Timperley Early last week as it was already starting to sprout -  I wanted to dig it up with as little root disturbance as possible so it was quite a job lifting it into the wheelbarrow and then into the container, but it looks quite happy and as the container is an old water but with a split on the base, it should have enough root space for a while! 

Agatha

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 16:27 »
Am so happy!  :) My Timperley Early is doing almost as well as usual in its pot - slightly smaller crop than usual, but probably because I had to chop a chunk off to fit it into the pot!  The Victoria is actually growing better than usual - think it gets a little more sun now than it did in the ground.

ptarmigan

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 16:31 »
Possibly too late for this reply. But I've  grown raspberries in large containers (1/2 barrel size) - they do v well for 2 years - tail off in the 3rd as they get congested then get replaced with new plants.

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:31 »
Thanks.  I will consider that for another year - my raspberries didn't survive the veg patch being flooded all winter!

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
fruit in containers?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 15:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 36 queries.