bad
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

rock dust

• 32 Replies

john wil

rock dust
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:12 »
Has anyone used Rock Dust in their allotment and have they seen any significant changes to plant growth ?
4 tatties feeds 2

Beetroot Queen

Re: rock dust
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:37 »
Little Ann swears by this stuff, infact she has convinced me our plots need some and looking at her results i am convinced enough to order some.

So is little Ann wrong i doubt it shes one if the old gals  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:52 »
John Wil - your poll only contains 2 voting options ("help" and "rock dust") - is that what you intended?

I can edit it or remove it altogether if you want (not sure if you can.)

One of several previous discussions on the subject is here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=27062.msg321658#msg321658

(The "Seercentre" website is currently "being upgraded" so you can't view the information mentioned in the above thread at the moment.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 14:38 »
Charles Dowding is experimenting with rock dust this year.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 17:07 »
Rock dust has been the latest popular fad with California gardeners the past few years. It's locally made, readily available, and not terribly expensive for them. I cannot find it here because it must be trucked in long distances, and being literally 'rock', it's heavy and pricey in shipping costs.

Instead, I use what I can find locally which includes alfalfa meal, greensand,  kelp meal, and mycorrhizal fungus. So far, these have been working very well for me and do not need yearly application.

Here's more info on rock dust to help you decide if it's for you: ARTICLE

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 16:38 »
I have used rock dust for the past three years and think its great. I would recommend!

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 17:14 »
My understanding isn't so much that it directly affects growth, but rather it provides the spectrum of minerals and trace elements that keep the plant healthier and producing more nutritious crops? Sort of like a multivitamin for plants.

But doesn't it take like eight months to even start breaking down? Seems like something you build up over seasons than immediate results.

john wil

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 18:45 »
thanks for all replys it has been a help i see b&q sell it under the name of Verve

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 19:28 »
Marshalls sell Seers 20kg (plus 450gram free box) bags of Rockdust for £11.95 each, and no matter how many bags you order the postage is still only £4.95   That's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere. 

I have never used any personally so I can't say if it's any good.  Some people say it's fantastic, yet some studies say there is no proof it's of any benefit other than for drainage.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 21:04 »
With this gardening lark it seems difficult to prove anything much at all nowadays. If the veggies seem to grow better and they taste good - then that's good enough for me.  :nowink:

Isn't that how it's always been ............................... give it a whirl and see what you think. If it doesn't work it hasn't cost the earth [ ::)] but if it does work, then great  :)

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 21:15 »
Yesterday I read an article that insisted chemically sprayed and fertilized veggies were every bit as healthy as organic veggies. If you believe that, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.....  ;)

These days anyone can say something does not work. If you check who they actually work for, then your answer is very clear. You need to do your own research and testing because your soil, your soil pH, your area, your weather, your seed varieties used, everything varies from what other people experience.

Yes, rock dust does help a lot. How much? You need to do your own testing before making a decision.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 22:54 »
Anyone know if there is any difference between Seers rock dust and the Verve rock dust at B&Q? Probably a silly question but at £5.98; its the cheapest I've seen it prior to seeing the above link. Not having to pay delivery makes a big difference.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 22:55 by GreyScales »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 08:22 »
according to this................it is SEER rockdust  :nowink:
http://www.binnsoilnutrients.com/where-to-buy/

If you have a look in B&Q, let us know if you can see a SEER logo  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:01 »
According to the BNQ website their rock dust (which as Mum has pointed out is probably the Seer's product) contains:

Basalt based crystalline mineral compounds which include feldspar, pyroxene, hornblende, chlorite and magnetite

Basalt is commonly used as an aggregate in concrete, or ballast in road building, amongst other things, and if you work through the list of constituent minerals you will find it is potentially a (very) slow-release source of some aluminium, iron, magnesium, and possibly other trace elements, although overwhelmingly it consists of various types of silicates (as does 92% of the earth's crust.)

In the continued absence of proper trial results from Seers (in fact any results - website still being "upgraded"), my best guess is that if your soil lacks certain trace elements, rock dust may help (but definitely not as a "quick fix.")

Complaints made about unsubstantiated claims in an advertisement for the product were upheld by the ASA in 2013.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 13:54 »
Organic catalogue has a write up............
http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p2546/ROCKDUST-20kg/product_info.html

Has manure ever been tested to prove that it improves soil? - yet we know it does.
it's one of those difficult to prove/disprove things IMO. That's why I say try it before you knock it   ;)

I wish we knew who complained about it to the Advertising Standards people - all the chemical fertiliser people?  :dry:

xx
ROCK DUST

Started by mother hen on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 18:40
by Munchkin
xx
Rock Dust

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 16:21
by penance
xx
rock dust

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 22:11
by angelavdavis
xx
Comparing rock dust

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 08:48
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 43 queries.