Suggestions for appropriate vegetables gardening for Downs Syndrome child

• 26 Replies

BryterLayter

My brother has asked me for suggestions for what would be appropriate vegetables and fruit that he can encourage Harry my Downs Syndrome nephew to grow.

They must be non toxic and without thorns. Harry has a habit of putting stuff in his mouth and can be a little whoops a daisy clumsy, not that discourages him, he is always in the my brothers back yard gardening in his unique Harry sort of way. Any pest control must be definitely non toxic.

My brother is going to set aside an 8' x 8' area for him.

I was thinking if it was too late to plant some garlic.

Oh by the way he is nearly 6 years old.

Any suggestions would be most grateful.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Any of the root vegetables, plus salad leaves for starters?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gypsy

I have grand children who come to my plot with me and we also have a baby grandson who has Downes. I do not think that a child with Downes is different from any other small child. They are all clumsy and have to taste stuff.  I just keep them away from ther gooseberry bushes as they are so prickly.
Catherine

Springlands

Strawberry plants do not have any thorns and most children love them.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Does he like strawberries? they are pretty indestructible if he's a little bumble-fingered like my godson. Climbing beans along one end might be nice if he likes those - they are reassuringly prolific for kids to have something to pick. And a pumpkin. And pea shoots. My godson is a bit wary of peapods now after not checking for caterpillars... :nowink:

BryterLayter

For some reason I didn't think of strawberries, I think they are a great idea, I am sure he will love going out to investigate if there are any ready for eating.

Beetroot Queen

I have grand children who come to my plot with me and we also have a baby grandson who has Downes. I do not think that a child with Downes is different from any other small child. They are all clumsy and have to taste stuff.  I just keep them away from ther gooseberry bushes as they are so prickly.

I agree completely, florence has flattened and pulled out her fair share of veg, all children should just be allowed to have a go. If you lose a cabbage or a swede on the way its not the end of the world. Florence has drunk out of the water butt, licked the hose pipe, eaten soil. I just think at least shes having a go. Good luck.

gypsy

For some reason I didn't think of strawberries, I think they are a great idea, I am sure he will love going out to investigate if there are any ready for eating.
A few different varieties of strawberries should give him a longer cropping season. Hope he enjoys himself.

BryterLayter

I agree children need to be allowed to try different things. Some of my early memories are of me walking between rows of my grandfathers peas and sampling them as I walked among them  :)

ilan

• Experienced Member
I would think a few nastusiums would be good all parts edible , a few radish are quick whilst a sun flower will be fun , cherry toms are great , dont forget the herbs for sensory experiences
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Beetroot Queen

I agree children need to be allowed to try different things. Some of my early memories are of me walking between rows of my grandfathers peas and sampling them as I walked among them  :)

I bet you stood on a few pods too by accident of course lol. Florence just says as she pulls out stuff thats only just sprouted. Oppss silly mummy that not ready lol.  ::)

Totty

Get some giant pumpkin seed  ;), all kids love seeing something they planted get massive, it may ramble beyond 8x8,  but who cares?

Totty

Beetroot Queen

Get some giant pumpkin seed  ;), all kids love seeing something they planted get massive, it may ramble beyond 8x8,  but who cares?

Totty

Also wont mind being watered well.

diospyros

Anything with big seeds, so I would go more for beans, peas, onion sets, beetroot rather than carrot or lettuce very fiddly.  No-one has mentioned potatoes yet, they are pretty robust and all jobs are easy eg setting out for chitting, planting, earthing up, digging for treasure!  Of course the leaves are poisonous but I doubt he would actually ingest a sufficient quantity.  I have had a similar question recently from someone who teaches severely autistic children and she says they put things in their mouth all the time but they are taught "take it out" and they will take it out again.

Trillium

Cherry tomatoes are ideal - not so big they can choke on them, and they can easily gather lots.

xx
container gardening suggestions please

Started by Mahogony on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 22:20
by rhythmvick
xx
Newbie Ups & Downs

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 12:08
by iwantanallotment
xx
acorn squash (downs and ups)

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 22:38
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Shrinking allotment syndrome strikes again

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 08:11
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.699 seconds with 37 queries.