Tree Kale

• 6 Replies

mpod001

• Martin
Tree Kale
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:55 »
Does anyone know of anyone who sells tree kale, or if anyone has one and would be willing to provide me with a cutting please?  ;)

Thanks

Martin
Martin

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: Tree Kale
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 16:17 »
If you are interested I'm growing a similar plant, perennial collards Couve Galego. Used in Portugal to make Caldo Verde soup. We like it, it keeps on producing. It's in its second year and is over 4ft tall and should keep going for up to 9 years. Here's a link.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collard_greens

Forgot to say I have  a good few seeds if you would like some pm me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 16:19 by moose »

mpod001

• Martin
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 23:38 »
Thank you both of you! I really do appreciate your help :-)

I found these today and have bought some

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301045964498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Wish Id have read your message earlier moose hehe! Oh well I have 300 seeds now and I can give friends plants to keep!

Has anyone got any dauberton kale at all? I know that one is like gold dust!

Many thanks again :)

Martin

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:17 »
I have 30 seeds left from a 2011 packet of Daubenton I got through being a member of HSL at Garden organic, and 8 strong plants growing in the garden(but they are no use to you)
I would be happy to swap say 15 seeds for 15 of some interesting kale I haven't got. We are always looking for good tasty hardy kales to boost our greens consumption over the winter.

Nick

Edit: Wow, I have just read up about this amazing perennial kale which I have been growing as an annual for the last 3 years(rolls eyes). I didn't have a clue! I guess I shall try and take some cuttings and plant them out in a permenant position. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:24 by NickoV »
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:58 »
Is tree kale same as the Cavolo Nero, as that's easy to get hold of  :unsure:

I like the Portugese cabbagey greens, the Couve Tronchuda  I think it's called. Lovely stuff

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 20:32 »
Hmm... Couve Tronchuda - lovely greens - nominally a '7 week variety' and planted Feb-Nov.

Word of warning with Tree Kale/Couve Galego - they do form quite a substantial and visible platform for pigeons who will eventually peck out the growing tip, in my experience particularly when there is a lot of snow on the ground, so keeping them going for years is a bit of a challenge.

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Can I fix kale?

Started by Raven81 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 11:18
by Raven81
xx
Kale

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2019, 21:45
by Dev

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 30 queries.