Replanting small shallots

• 5 Replies

Lisbon67

Replanting small shallots
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:44 »
My shallots were a disaster last year - lots of very small shallots, some even smaller than an onion set. It was only my second year growing, and I suspect that I didn't feed or water them enough (in my first - rainy - year, they grew really well).

As a result, I've still got lots of very small shallots stored in an onion bag. I know that small shallot sets are said to be be better to plant, but is this true even of ones no bigger than 1cm in diameter? Or would I be better investing in new stock? Thanks!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Replanting small shallots
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:14 »
Although I choose the smaller shallots for replanting, mainly because they seem to store better over winter, I think 1cm is probably pushing it a bit too far, especially for globe rather than the longer varieties.

Given you had a poor crop last year it's probably worth investing in some new bulbs, although there's nothing to stop you trying an experiment with some of the "babies" if you have room.

Your diagnosis of last year's problems is probably correct - although too much nitrogen is not helpful, neither is starvation, and being shallow rooted they do need a regular supply of water (organic matter in the soil helps.)

My soil is very light so I have to both feed and pay attention to watering, although they are otherwise a pretty trouble-free crop here.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:22 »
I'm tight, so I'd perservere with your current stock, but give them a bit of tlc to get them off to a good start to make up for the lack of energy stored in the bulb. Start them off in modules in an unheated greenhouse or coldframe and plant them out when the  weather improves around April time. Keep them well weeded, watered and a bit of growmore and they should do fine.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:49 »
The smaller shallots are the ones that will divide well to give you a decent clump -- large ones (relative to the size of a mature bulb) do not divide as much. I use ones about 1.5 cm in diameter  of a globe variety

So yes, use the littluns and they will repay you if you look after them a little bit  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:51 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lisbon67

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 19:46 »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got room so I'll definitely plant the wee ones...and hedge my bets with some new stock too. I love Thai food, so there's no such thing as too many shallots.

I've already got some jermors planted (bought as seed) which are huge - at least as big as ones you'd buy to eat. Be interesting to compare results - will report back!

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 22:07 »
I re-use my saved Potato onion (similar to shallot) sets and all are 1.5cm and smaller. The bigger bulbs are eaten and pickled.. have great crops for the last two years. I was sent 6 to start my stocks of about 2cm and I now grow 50 each year and they bulb up really well.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
Replanting saved shallots?

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2022, 11:55
by cc
xx
Small shallots

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 17:11
by mumsflowerpot
xx
using small shallots next year

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 10:06
by zazen999
xx
Replanting the strawberry bed

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 12:44
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 37 queries.