What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1395 on: August 15, 2014, 21:19 »
Harvested the last of the peas and removed the plants from the plot, weeded, spent 20 mins in the shed sheltering from the downpour then picked the last few broad beans and removed these plants as well.

Snoop

« Reply #1396 on: August 16, 2014, 09:59 »
So far, watered. Dug up one of the Picasso maincrop potatoes. Too damp after yesterday's generous watering by Mr Snoop, really, so will leave the rest. The plant I dug up had half a dozen or so absolute whoppers, a few medium and small-sized ones and a dozen or so tiddlers. Each whopper is easily big enough for one meal for us.

Next jobs, once breakfast (yoghurt, melon and very milky coffee) has gone down is to rake out some beds and maybe put in some French beans currently in pots and (gasp) some sweetcorn that I've had growing in paper pots since I don't know when but had no cleared bed space for. Not sure how well this will do, but it might as well be in the ground as out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:01 by Snoop »

Steveharford

« Reply #1397 on: August 16, 2014, 11:16 »
Restrung some of my tomatoes in the polytunnel where the weight of them had broken the strings. Used para cord this time. Even the beefsteaks won't snap that! A couple of trusses had snapped off so they will be for chutney.  Will have to invest in some decent string next year. I used some white plastic stuff that dad used to tie his dahlias up with. Massive ball of the stuff but looks like the light has maybe perished it.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1398 on: August 16, 2014, 13:51 »
Shifted 3 barrows of soil improver up the hill to the plot, two more this afternoon when I have recovered.

I am beginning the renovation of a compacted and poorly drained corner of the plot, where all the fruit trees and bushes are looking sick. So the 4 surplus gooseberry bushes are out and the new apple tree has gone into a pot.  The 2 old unproductive apple trees are probably for the chop - one definitely, the other I might give another season's chance.
Anne

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1399 on: August 16, 2014, 14:54 »
More weeding! Cleared 2 barrows worth today. I have also started to re-jig the orientation and size of some of my beds now I know the plot better. I have decided to bite the bullet and move all my fruit bushes into an area that gets full sun as they don't look too happy in the 50 % shade. I only gained this sunny half after I put the fruit bushes in but is still annoying! Just got to wait for the bushes to go dormant

miggs

« Reply #1400 on: August 16, 2014, 15:12 »
General tidying really. Tied a few Tomatos to the stakes as they are growing faster than I can tie them. Picked some Tom's as well. Inspected the Runner beans and thanks to the help I got before (on here) I will be picking some in the morning. :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 15:58 by miggs »

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1401 on: August 17, 2014, 12:57 »
Yesterday we spent 5 hours at the plot, I severely pruned the old plum tree that had got well out of hand whilst TOH weeded around both the plum and apple trees. We both spent a couple of hours weeding and generally tidying up before harvesting what we had ready and going home for dinner!
This morning we went back and cleared all the bags of rubbish etc. to the local dump before buying some food for the fish back home.

Snoop

« Reply #1402 on: August 17, 2014, 16:43 »
Watered, picked a load of melons and then got interrupted. Am hoping it will cool down this evening as there's lots to do...

Dig up Picassos and weed and tie up sprouts. Plant out beans and sweetcorn, which didn't get done the other day. Story of my life at the moment.

AnneB

« Reply #1403 on: August 17, 2014, 17:06 »
Trimmed the hedge on our plot, daughter's plot and the allotment association plot.   Feeling very noble about this, as a problem with our container means that I couldn't use the petrol hedgetrimmer and had to do it all by hand using shears.     Watered in polytunnel, fed tomatoes and peppers.  Harvested lots.

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #1404 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30 »
Weeded leeks, and spring cabbage patch, gave an imploring look at the sweetcorn to ripen and was ignored ...again, checked cauliflowers  for caterpillars, these pale green cauli leaf coloured ones are a bit sneaky of mother nature. Watered celery, planted out last of winter hardy lettuce, dug up last of Maris Piper pots, watered toms, peppers and cucumbers found a  cucumber lurking at the back of the greenhouse could pass as a marrow so big ... whoopsie 15mins to change for work
:D I garden therefore I am

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1405 on: August 18, 2014, 11:38 »
Dug over the new L-shaped bed made in the sickly corner of the plot, incorporated the five barrowloads of soil improver, but it looks as if some more wouldn't hurt.
Sawed down an apple tree, pruned and moved a red gooseberry bush which was too close to another one.

Eblana

« Reply #1406 on: August 18, 2014, 16:16 »
Myself and OH spent 4 hours up at the plot yesterday.  We have been away for the last 2 weeks so OH strimmed the paths.  I tied in the toms and cucks and took the side shoots off the toms.  Cut back the stems on the main crop spuds which had died back while we were away, took four barrow loads of weeds out of the beds.  Harvested toms, beet root, cucks, lettuce and basil.  Also took home a large bucket of Dahlias and Lilies.  I loved my holidays but I was delighted to be back on the plot.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1407 on: August 18, 2014, 18:13 »
Went back this afternoon and planted three jostaberry bushes.
Dug up a row of desiree potatoes, not an awful lot, but they were under water for some of the time so I wasn't expecting much.
Millered the bed after - love that soil miller! :)

miggs

« Reply #1408 on: August 18, 2014, 18:52 »
Just picked another bowl of Tom Million Tom's and I had to stake all the Sweetcorn as the wind was blowing them over. As it's the first time I have ever grown Sweetcorn I don't want to loose them now, not when they have lots of cob's on them.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1409 on: August 20, 2014, 19:14 »
Picked the 3rd qtr of the corn crop (36), it's done really well.  Loads for eatin' and freezin'.  Will definitely be doing 'Swift' again.  Managed to get to it just before the woodlice come a munchin' although they had started making inroads down the tassels.  I lost loads last year this way.

Lobbed the used corn stalks onto the compost and tidied up some of the squash vines.  Weeded under the brassica nettings, sprouts & PSB looking great, red cabbages not so much.  Pulled out the last of the Khol rhabi undercropping (it worked really well, but we're not fans)
Ate a few strawbs & rasps.  Harvested 6 huge cues  ::)  came home with 3 heavy carrier bags full.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 1.371 seconds with 38 queries.