What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #615 on: April 04, 2014, 21:50 »
Planted the spuds, Wilja and Desiree.
Weeded, it seems to be Hairy Bittercress's time to shine at the mo.
Anne

Paul Plots

« Reply #616 on: April 05, 2014, 00:13 »
I was so pleased I'd been careful and exacting putting in my seed potatoes. Digging them back up again with a trowel was much easier and quicker than I expected. Lost 2 out of 60.

Lifted a dozen strawberry plants - they look good considering they'd not been in their new bed all that long.

Pruned and lifted a smallish multi-flora rose that had been given to me by some of the children when I retired. Not a good time of year to do this but it's healed in and soaked so it has two chances.

Hopefully the lot will find new homes in the back garden tomorrow.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Jackypam

« Reply #617 on: April 05, 2014, 14:15 »
Are you moving plots then Paul?  Oh, so I'm not too off topic I watered and weeded and cut the first 4 asparagus spears and another pile of PSB.

bravemurphy

« Reply #618 on: April 05, 2014, 15:15 »
Have been hardening off some Kilaton for the last three weeks, trenched a load of chicken manure yesterday and out they went today.

Then a more senior lotty member came past and said "have you seen the weather for next week? Its forecast to be really cold."

Well they are in now and have got two choices, grow or die  :)

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2014, 15:48 »
Planted early and second early potatoes. Prepared new strawberry bed but rain stopped play so didn't manage to transplant any plants.

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2014, 16:04 »
Planted out my cabbages and onion sets and sowed Lettuce, Spring Onion and Pak Choi. Tied up my raspberry canes, weeded and tidied up a bit.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2014, 16:30 »
Then a more senior lotty member came past and said "have you seen the weather for next week? Its forecast to be really cold."
Well they are in now and have got two choices, grow or die  :)
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo.  But to be expected.  Oh well.
Dug out some of the border between mine and next door's weed covered neglected plot; we don't need 3 ft of path do we  ::) lumped a load of couch and made a windbreak with the clods, planted a couple of rows of spuds.
Slugs despatched= 20- 5 were those massive black ones  (am amazed at how effective just leaving a few bits of cardboard around the plot can be for slug removal)

Grafted a couple of aubergines onto tom rootstocks for an experiment.  I felt like a murderer taking a scapel to the stems  :(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 16:34 by pigguns »

Maarten

« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2014, 16:46 »
Did my first planting at the plot this spring (besides a few radish seeds); my Kestrel potatoes are in! The Apache potatoes should soon follow. Also set up a support for this years mangetout peas and went back home as the rain started.

Maarten

Robster

« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2014, 18:02 »
Planted out 60 pink fir apple potatoes into the plot.  Then the last of my Red Duke of York first earlies into bags.  Thats all my various spuds in and running.  Ive just acquired a new half plot so also spent an hour clearing dandelions before they set seed.  Ive got a mountain of chard in the greenhouse and that'll be job number one tomorrow I reckon

Paul Plots

« Reply #624 on: April 05, 2014, 20:16 »
Planted out 60 pink fir apple potatoes into the plot.

Wow that's a lot.

I planted (for the 2nd time) 60 earlies and then 20 pink fir apple. I still have another lot of main crop potatoes to go in but there's presently no space left on my little home plot.

Up the with lawn!!  :)  After all you can't eat grass. 

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #625 on: April 05, 2014, 21:03 »
Weeded strawberry patch and round rasps, tilled another bit dug up 12 leeks cultivated between rows of garlic and onions, noticed spud tips poking up here and there :D beetroot is also through :D and took some pics of lottie.
diggity dig dig

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #626 on: April 06, 2014, 00:00 »
Basically all we did today was shovel s*** as we had a large load of well rotted manure delivered!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

grendel

« Reply #627 on: April 06, 2014, 13:08 »
finally got to my other half plot, didnt take the rotovator as I didnt fancy pushing it the length of the plot from the car park (as I am in the furthest corner from the gate and the tracks are closed to cars over winter and when really wet). when I got there they were open and I could drive to the parking bay near my plot, ah well. planted 3 rows of potatoes and 3 of onions, managed all that before the drizzle started. then came home
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

AnneB

« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2014, 13:27 »
Sowed 2 varieties of tall peas, some Sutton's purple podded I saved from last year and some Lord Leicester.   Sowed a few turnips.   Emptied out the soil from 2 big containers that need to be moved for polytunnel construction.  Used it to top up a raised bed.   Helped daughter dig out a small bed on her plot. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2014, 16:32 »
I was hoping it would rain today so I could go off to the allotment shed and start removing the screws (unobserved) and maybe dig up one of my two red roses - lovely scent and great for cutting so they are coming home with me.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post June 02, 2024, 12:15
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 1.26 seconds with 38 queries.