What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #675 on: April 12, 2014, 13:18 »
Painted my pallet decking a rather fetching pale green, weeded and raked over 3 beds, weeded the onions, shallots and garlic and sowed a row of beetroot. A rather productive morning!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #676 on: April 12, 2014, 14:52 »
Put in the hoops for the strawberry bed and the currant bushes.  I will fight with the netting nearer the time.

I'm worrying...I've got peas, runners, french beans, squashes and cucumbers that I want to plant, and I only have two beds left empty.  And I wanted flowers too, I just haven't got room! I need a bigger plot! I thought with not doing sweetcorn or brassicas I would have loads of space...!
Anne

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #677 on: April 12, 2014, 16:57 »
absolutely nothing, tomorrow however, lots and lots
who pinched me marrow?

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #678 on: April 12, 2014, 17:11 »
Earthed up eight beds of spuds, weeded leeks, garlic and empty bed ready for planting. Watered sweetcorn, cleared tunnel. Pulled up stray strawberry runners, emptied compost bin, had a drink, chatted a lot

diospyros

« Reply #679 on: April 12, 2014, 17:41 »
Spent a couple of hours first thing pottering round weeding, sowed some green manures and moved bits of comfrey.  Came home and emptied a dalek, much of it needed sieving, took ten bags up the allotment - my poor car!

Lardman

« Reply #680 on: April 12, 2014, 18:07 »
Started putting the new weed proof membrane down round the raised beds, weeded everything, gave the garlic a feed as it's looking unhealthy  :(

Lottiman

« Reply #681 on: April 12, 2014, 18:09 »
Another good day weeding around garlic, onions, shallots and also in the asparagus bed, dug out another section of grass path put down weed membrane and covered with stones picked from the plot.
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #682 on: April 12, 2014, 18:39 »
Finally got to use my brand new Mantis :) Once I got the hang of it, was very easy if quite tiring! I tilled an area roughly 4m x 6m which took a couple of hours with stopping every couple of rows to clear the tines of rubbish.

grendel

« Reply #683 on: April 13, 2014, 11:16 »
its only been 3 weeks, but the weeds are starting to grow, rotovated one of my half plots, took time (3 hours) and went down to full tine depth.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Paul Plots

« Reply #684 on: April 13, 2014, 12:17 »
its only been 3 weeks, but the weeds are starting to grow, rotovated one of my half plots, took time (3 hours) and went down to full tine depth.
Grendel

I rotovated mine quite a while ago and, since then, I periodically push / pull a Wolf Miller across the top. It's so easy and speedy.. hoes the surface and spikes'n turns the top layer cleanly. It will run between and close to newly sown rows as well as cover empty patches leaving the lot weed free.

Thanks to my father-in-law for giving it to me when he gave up his plot in the Smoke.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

beesrus

« Reply #685 on: April 13, 2014, 16:10 »
Weeded Autumn onions. Note to oneself: never, ever again, plant onions over a previous potato bed.
Continued to try and manage the broad bean chocolate spot due to a manky old Winter. 
Brassicas are now hardening off. Sweet peppers potted on.
Planted a few advanced troop tomatoes from pot to greenhouse bed, all fleeced up.

diospyros

« Reply #686 on: April 13, 2014, 17:52 »
Popped up first thing just to put some "compost activator" on one of the heaps (the collection of this being trickier for female plot holders with no sheds) and met my next plot neighbour who I haven't seen since last autumn so HAD to have a quick chat which made me late for Morris practice, but never mind... then after practice visited a lovely NGS garden in Repton and bought a gooseberry, woodruff and lysimachia Firecracker all for £6.  So have just been back up to put the gooseberry on the plot and half the woodruff in the hedgebank (other half in back garden) and some more compost activator in the heap!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #687 on: April 13, 2014, 19:39 »
Mantis'd again. Same sort of size area, but also got 250 onions planted, 3 x 5m rows parsnips & 1 x 5m row beetroot. A vurry nice day all round, rather sleepy now.

Lardman

« Reply #688 on: April 13, 2014, 19:49 »
Finished putting the membrane down and raked the stones out of the area by the chickens, spent most of the day weeding the bindweed out of the raspberry bed - I hate bindweed   :mad:

Moved some concrete gravel boards back to make a 1' deep bed at the foot of a wall, more to protect the footings than to plant in  ::) I swear they get heavier every year  :wacko:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #689 on: April 13, 2014, 20:09 »
My turn on the allotment trading hut, so stood around and talked a lot!

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 4.183 seconds with 36 queries.