What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2014, 23:45 »
Today spent sorting through a spare-room full of my parents unused belongings so the plumber could find the radiator.... so much for the trip to the plot.  :( I so wanted to get down there when no one else was around.... it rained nearly all day.

Plans:
No carer Tuesday so no plot visit possible but on Wednesday I'm taking my Christmas a present to the plot (an electric screw driver) to remove the 1001 screws holding my shed firmly together.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 23:45 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #646 on: April 08, 2014, 00:35 »
Watered spuds in gh,sowed some borlotti beans,runner beans and some spare broad beans to fill in the gaps :)
diggity dig dig

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #647 on: April 08, 2014, 16:00 »
Painted some log edging and put it in place, in front of the wild flower area, earthed up half my spuds - will do the other half tomorrow as my back gave out haha!

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #648 on: April 08, 2014, 16:37 »
Planted a dwarf cherry tree.

Noticed that my Kiwi hit by the frost has survived  :D

Weeded and then decided to repair and paint my parents old bird table that they dropped off at my plot. I think I ended up with more paint on me than on the table!

Yana

« Reply #649 on: April 08, 2014, 18:32 »
What a rewarding day! Got everything done that I had planned and even time for a coffee (or two).
Would have happily stayed on just to be outside but tummy still a bit gurgly.
Potted on cucumbers and courgettes at home.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #650 on: April 08, 2014, 18:47 »
Popped up to the lotty this morning to open the greenhouse windows, spent over 30min chatting to the new H&S officer who got his promotion last night at the AGM (unlucky!) Doing his first round, wondered why I didn't attend the AGM? Told him I'm a trouble maker at AGM's, thought best not to attend and get threatened with eviction (again)  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 18:50 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

diospyros

« Reply #651 on: April 08, 2014, 21:13 »
Did some weeding and then built a hugelkultur mound at the church garden!  Well didn't quite finish it because of doing the weeding first.  So the topsoil is still sitting in a heap on the plastic which I use in the back of my mobile shed car, so I must go and finish the hugelkultur off next week and get it back.

Back home, tried and convicted two slugs of eating the seedlings in the cold frame and sentenced them to a long flight into the school field.  Told the baby newt which was also living in there she will have to do better and grow a bit!

jmc1949

« Reply #652 on: April 09, 2014, 16:10 »
Yesterday I dug over the area for the runner beans and then put the frame in place. Sowed 3 rows of choiggia beetroot and a row of purple top milan turnips. Put the frame and cover over the salad bed and sowed a row of lettuce, mizuna, radish and spring onions.

Today dug over, weeded and mulched the blackcurrant and gooseberry bed, then dug and weeded the summer raspsberries and put up the supports and wires. Finished the path that's infront of the autumn raspberries. Phew! need a lie down in a dark room now :)

Yana

« Reply #653 on: April 09, 2014, 16:22 »
Transplanted cabbage and cauliflower from their polystyrene trays into raised beds on plot 2 that are covered with black fabric weed suppressant membrane (not the plastic sort). Gave a good watering (don't get me started on why the water hasn't been turned on at the lottie  yet) and covered with newly made enviromesh covers. Was a bit expensive to buy the enviromesh but it looks a treat and this year I am determined the nasties are not going to feast on my lovely stuff.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #654 on: April 09, 2014, 20:25 »
The enviromesh is invaluable Yana and will do you a few years - you're supposed to be able to wash it too :unsure: I should try with some of my grubby stuff! :D

Our water was on which was great as I planted out the onion sets today. :)

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #655 on: April 09, 2014, 20:31 »
Today post work I netted fruit cages around each of the four blueberry raised beds and then putting up fleece against the prevailing wind as it was knocking the flowers off the plants.

Potted on courgettes , butternut squashes and sunflowers and then did a mini victory dance as the peach, apricot and nectarine trees have fruit on them even though they all are suffering the dreaded peach leaf curl. I'm just hoping that some of the fruitlets survive  :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #656 on: April 09, 2014, 21:33 »
Discovered my gorgeous pear tree has pear blister mite. Yuk. Also garlic still rusty though putting on a HUGE growth spurt. Lots of slugs about - I think this year will be nematodes for the spuds for sure.

blackberryjam

« Reply #657 on: April 09, 2014, 21:37 »
Opened the greenhouse door,  26c in their,  sown coriander, fennel and cucamelon in pots, started chitting sweetcorn and re potted cabbage seedlings  noticed something had been nibbling on them so covered with a fine neting , this evening went back to the plot and used nematodes GROW YOUR OWN  everywhere to help kill off some of the nasties, it worked well last year on the gooseberry sawflies .
Just wish it worked on flee beetles. :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 21:40 by blackberryjam »

Paul Plots

« Reply #658 on: April 09, 2014, 23:51 »
I lifted two big roses and two blackberry bushes then put them in the cycle-trailer to bring home.

The shed's guttering is down and stored.

Then I put the soil-miller across all of the plot that remains unplanted to dissuade the tiny weed seedlings.

One small step in the right direction.

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #659 on: April 10, 2014, 00:18 »
I planted another Strawberry tower (12 high) so another 36 plants, Mike added manure to the Strawberry bed, and then dug over and added manure to one of the squash beds.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 37 queries.